Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 23rd July 2018, 01:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Exclamation *WARNING 2 FAKE FTDNA APPS!*

I'm new here but I just went to Google Play Store looking for FTDNA apps so that I could use my tablet to work on my family tree here & found 2 App by the same developer that are FAKE! The very few reviews were bad so that concerned me & i called FTDNA today & asked the CS rep if these apps were legitimate & he checked with his SUPERVISOR & told me NO THEY ARE NOT LEGITIMATE APPS & FTDNA WAS HAVING AN IT MEETING TODAY & DEFINITELY DISCUSSING THIS ISSUE! THIS IS A SERIOUS SECURITY THREAT FOR US CUSTOMERS & OBVIOUSELY IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF FTDNA BUT I JUST WANT TO WARN PEOPLE NOT TO DOWNLOAD THESE APPS & IF YOU DID, I WOULD IMMEDIATELY RESET YOUR PASSWORDS!

WHEN SEARCHING "Family Tree DNA on Google Play Store you will see the following 2 APP NAMES (Links under each) & BOTH are by Developer "Wealthy Apps"
1. Family tree dna
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1172.app763855

2. My family tree
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1172.app763853

OH...They are sneaky! look they even put screenshots using the FTDNA verbiage like "myFTDNA User's Guide" on the FAKE Family tree dna APP! Also one person wrote in a review "People want to review their results and matches. The money spent on this app was wasted" WHAT?!
IS THIS FAKE COMPANY NOT ONLY GATHERING OUR KIT NUMBERS & PASSWORDS BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS FAKE COMPANY IS ALSO GATHERING PEOPLES LITERAL DNA & CHARGING THEM TOO! OMG! IF THEY HAVE YOUR KIT NUMBER & PASSWORD THEY CAN DOWNLOAD YOUR RAW DNA DATA FILE & MUCH MORE. Then what are they doing with your DNA!? OH & don't forget they even charge you? This is scary Stuff! I KNOW FTDNA WILL STOP THIS DEVELOPER IN THEIR TRACKS! HOPEFULLY IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited by MyTr33; 23rd July 2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: wanted full title to show from forum home page, removing most asteriks
Old 25th July 2018, 09:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for this important warning.
Old 30th July 2018, 09:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

I’m confused. How is this app pretending to be ftdna? The logo is different and it just says “family tree” and offers to help make a family tree. It says nothing about genetic info. The first link didn’t work- I am talking about the second link. I have no idea if the program is crap or not but it looks like a generic family tree maker???
Old 31st July 2018, 11:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

YAY! THE FAKE APP IS GONE FROM GOOGLE PLAY NOW!

ok Thanks FAMILY TREE DNA for getting the fake "Family Tree DNA" app removed from Google Play! they still got the one but I don't trust that company "Wealthy Apps" so I won't be using ANY of their Apps...which are many btw...including financial stuff.