Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 10th November 2017, 05:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Any women with ONLY a Jewish paternal grandfather?

If so, I would be curious as to what your FTDNA X-match list looks like. Are you showing up lots of false Ashkenazi X-matches? I am currently having a hard time interpreting my mother's FTDNA results. Despite just having a Kewosh paternal grandfather (the only non-X contributing ancestor for a female) she is showing up with hundreds of Ashkenazi X-matches. Anybody's input would help me but this one to bed once and for all as it has been confounding me for some time!
Old 10th November 2017, 06:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelstaedter View Post
If so, I would be curious as to what your FTDNA X-match list looks like. Are you showing up lots of false Ashkenazi X-matches? I am currently having a hard time interpreting my mother's FTDNA results. Despite just having a Kewosh paternal grandfather (the only non-X contributing ancestor for a female) she is showing up with hundreds of Ashkenazi X-matches. Anybody's input would help me but this one to bed once and for all as it has been confounding me for some time!

Maybe there's Ashkenazi ancestry that you weren't aware of.
Old 10th November 2017, 08:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
Maybe there's Ashkenazi ancestry that you weren't aware of.
I have thought the same thing, but the percentages don't quite add up (she is only 22% Jewish Diaspora on FF) which is why I am suspicious.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

22% means that one of her parents was 1/2 Jewish (50%). That would account for a lot of matches. I have thousands and my mom who is 50% Jewish has several thousand. Of course they donít mean anything bc of endogamy.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Indeed so it would seem. However I am talking about matches on the X chromosome, which can only be inherited through either maternal grandparents or the paternal grandmother in women. My mother's only known Jewish ancestor however is her paternal grandfather, hence the conundrum...
Old 11th November 2017, 11:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Michael,

A while ago you posted this:
"My X chromosome, which it would seem came only from my moms mom who is northern Italian (there was no recombination with her paternal x) shows up as 75 percent British and Irish..."

Do you still think you inherited your mother's maternal X-chromosome?

If you're handy with a spreadsheet you might be able to manipulate your mother's file to remove the X you received. Regardless of whether or not you did receive an unchanged X from your maternal grandmother this would provide a crude form of phasing which would get rid of the multitude of IBS false matches that women have.

A very kind messageboarder here did the same for me with two kits which left us with the X-chromosome of a woman born in the 1870s by using the kits of two first cousins (one male and one female) whose mothers were sisters. They matched along the entire X-chromosome. We knew from the male who the maternal X-matches were. The majority of the non-maternal matches did not match the kit that was created by removing that maternally inherited X, so they'd been false matches.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks I will definitely give that a shot.

I think I just don't really understand how matching works. It's not really that I'm trying to find a particular relative in this instance, just evidence for a particular ethnicity I guess so I can steer my genealogical search in the right direction...