Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 10th November 2017, 05:58 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdi View Post
The more I read about mtDNA, the more confused I become. I thought the mtDNA would help me better understand my mother's maternal line, but I was told by an administrator that the mtDNA traces the family of my mother's maiden name. That just doesn't make sense, as my maternal grandmother has no dna from my mother's maiden name. I understand that you learn your haplogroup, but how does the test rule out Native American ancestry? Thanks for any help!
mtDNA relates to ancestry in what's called the strict maternal line. The ancestors in this line are only these individuals - mother, maternal grandmother, maternal grandmother's mother, etc. mtDNA results don't relate to any other ancestors.

Marietta gave you a link to a blog post about Native American mtDNA haplogroups. If your mtDNA haplogroup is one of those, then you definitely have Native American ancestry in your strict maternal line. If you don't have one of those haplogroups, all that proves is that you don't have Native American ancestry in your strict maternal line.

It doesn't mean that you don't have any Native American at all, since it's only telling you about a small percentage of your ancestors in the strict maternal line. There may be Native American ancestry outside the strict maternal line.
Old 10th November 2017, 07:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdi View Post
The more I read about mtDNA, the more confused I become. I thought the mtDNA would help me better understand my mother's maternal line, but I was told by an administrator that the mtDNA traces the family of my mother's maiden name. That just doesn't make sense, as my maternal grandmother has no dna from my mother's maiden name. I understand that you learn your haplogroup, but how does the test rule out Native American ancestry? Thanks for any help!
The following image shows your mtDNA inheritance path (your is Red).
If your Native American ancestor is not along this path, your mtDNA will not prove or disprove. You would have to test a female descendant of one of the other lines in which your ancestor resides (can be a male if his mother follows line of interest)
Attached Images
File Type: png mtdna inheritance.png (29.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 10th November 2017, 09:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
The following image shows your mtDNA inheritance path (your is Red).
If your Native American ancestor is not along this path, your mtDNA will not prove or disprove. You would have to test a female descendant of one of the other lines in which your ancestor resides (can be a male if his mother follows line of interest)
Hello soonerdi, what does the above mean to you in practical terms?

When around 12 generations ago (300+ years ago), you had four thousands ancestors; if we assume that all of them were Amerindians, but the lady of your mtDNA line was from Africa or Europe, this test (FMS = Full Mitochondrial Sequence) will not tell you anything about your Amerindian ancestry.

Mr. W

P.S.
It is similar with Y DNA. If hundreds of years ago, a man from Europe or Africa was admitted to a tribe, by just looking only at Y DNA of his descendants in the male line, you would not be able to say anything whatsoever about Amerindian ancestry.