Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > The Genographic Project

The Genographic Project Do you have results from Genographic? Are you considering testing with them? This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 3rd June 2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eki
I also have a 19/25 match saying "Desc of Charles Carter Lee (b1798StratfdVAd1871VA)". Wikipedia says Robert E Lee was from Virginia. Could this Charles Carter Lee have been a relative of Robert E Lee, or is Lee a very common name in Virginia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E_Lee
I updated my FTDNA markers to 37 and got some more markers also for the Relative Genetics database. Now I have a 25/32 match with "Desc of Charles Carter Lee (b1798StratfdVAd1871VA)". But I now also have a 19/21 match with someone named Davis. I wonder if Robert E Lee and Jefferson Davis were related?
Old 29th July 2006, 08:24 AM

I have Abbeville, SC Lees, too.

Greetings,

My LEEs are from Calhoun Falls, Abbeville Co, SC and I have kept track of your Moses Lee from census records to see if they connect to my Henderson LEE line (b. ca 1805 SC). Feel free to contact me offline at scabbegen@aol.com. Sonia
Old 31st July 2006, 02:01 AM
KONSHESGIRL

South Carolina Lee's

I am sorry, I haven't been to this posting in several months. Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been more specific in my question: I am looking for information about my Great-GREAT-GF's family out of S. Carolina...not my great grandfather...and this search is for the paternal side....which consists of portugese jewish, & african....believed to be carib...yet still out of s. carolina.

On my maternal side, I have recently had access to my family's tree & the information was mind boggling to say the least...here I just thought we were black folk. But we are mixed with irish, native american, cuban & african. Go figure. I knew my ggf who was Irish, but I didn't really know what my ggm was until my gm died this past april. She told us what she knew, "cherokee, irish & black" but the cuban, was a surprise. I recently had my DNA done here at FTDNA and belong to the very rare haplogroup "W"....

last name MIRANEY....also out of south carolina.

Last edited by KONSHESGIRL; 31st July 2006 at 02:02 AM. Reason: missed something
Old 5th August 2006, 09:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Your reference below to the Campbell's being Flemish is just plain wrong. This myth has been completely debunked. A few avid internet posters keep this and other mis-information alive (The Campbells being Melungeon is another such lie.). DNA results if anything, prove the Duke right -- or as right as is possible with the current state of research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eki
"It was the 8th Duke of Argyll who used to cry: ?I am pure Celt?; however, there is no doubt at all that the arms of Campbell are anciently the arms of the Baldwins, Counts of Flanders."

http://amg1.net/scotland/flemfam.htm

Now it looks like that also DNA proves the Duke wrong. I have 19/25 matches with people named Campbell in the Relative Genetics database, as well as 13/17 and 12/16 matches with people named Wells, who apparently descend from Normans named de Welles:

"Richard d?Ouille (de Welles) ,b ca 1030, brother of Robert (Roger) d?Oilley, a companion of the Conqueror and 1st Castellan of Oxford held the Manor of Welle in Dorset and Manor of Wedna (Welle) in Essex, apparent ancestor (due to Saxon mispronunciation of Ouille) of Wells family in Dorset and Somerset)."

http://www.pcug.org.au/~ronwells/700-9.htm

It would be nice to know if I had common ancestors with these people before or after the Norman times.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

ALL Lee Descendants

I am interested in helping all of the Lee descendants that are being denied their ancestry and are being discouraged by possible tampering with DNA results. If you are a Lee descendant, and we are cousins, regardless or race, color, religion, etc., and we all have the right to know our roots and family heritage. I know how difficult this can be.

Please contact me at info@leesofvirginia.org and share my contact information with any other Lee cousins interested in getting to the truth.

Thank you,
Jacqueli Finley
Old 6th November 2017, 12:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Denial of Lee Descendants

I am interested in helping all of the Lee descendants that are being denied their ancestry and are being discouraged by possible tampering with DNA results. If you are a Lee descendant, and we are cousins, regardless or race, color, religion, etc., and we all have the right to know our roots and family heritage. I know how difficult this can be.

Please contact me at info@leesofvirginia.org and share my contact information with any other Lee cousins interested in getting to the truth.

Thank you,
Jacqueli Finley
Old 6th November 2017, 07:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

My earliest for sure known direct maternal ancestor was Cynthia A. Lee, unless that is an alias for some reason. I've been trying to figure out just which lee family she came from. Her census info gives her birth place as Indiana in 1816. That's mighty early for Indiana. At the present time I place her in the large Virginia Lee clan, which includes Robert E. Lee. I have a few DNA matches with people in that branch, but who are lot named Lee. However, my/her mtDNA is U5b2b2/G228A, which is rare. That haplotype is found n early Massachusetts. So she could also be a yankee Lee, ha ha. And yes, that Virginia Lee clan also has Abraham Lincoln in it. If they connect to the Taylors of Virginia, which I see has been shown, then Zachary Taylor, actor Elizabeth Taylor and James Madison are also in that big tree.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueliFinley View Post
I am interested in helping all of the Lee descendants that are being denied their ancestry and are being discouraged by possible tampering with DNA results.
Who is tampering with DNA results and how do you know this?