Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 13th July 2016, 10:06 AM
BetAdams

mtDNA & Haplogroups

Not a reply but I was intending to ask this question and it seemed to fit here {rather than starting another thread!}

If I were to test my brother {he has done a Y test}for mtDNA full will his Haplogroup be the same as mine {same mother and father}?

I ask because I have one of the more unusual ones.
Old 13th July 2016, 11:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

same mother, same haplotype.

It is a terminal situation for your brother, however. While he has the same mtDNA haplotype, he will not pass it down to his kids, as they will receive their mother's mtDNA.

The Y DNA will not affect that. Other than you can use the same kit to do a mtDNA test.

If your mother has any sisters, they will also have the same haplotype, as well as all of their kids, male or female.

All of you descend from your maternal grandmother who also had the same haplotype, as did her mother and her mother etc.
Old 13th July 2016, 02:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betadams View Post
Not a reply but I was intending to ask this question and it seemed to fit here {rather than starting another thread!}

If I were to test my brother {he has done a Y test}for mtDNA full will his Haplogroup be the same as mine {same mother and father}?

I ask because I have one of the more unusual ones.
As user mabrams wrote above, both of you got your mtDNA from your (common) mother.

So you are guaranteed the same haplogroup. However, there could be differences in your mtDNA results, as mutations happen - we just do not know when.

The same haplogroup, but not necessarily identical mtDNA.

Mr W
Old 14th July 2016, 03:26 AM
BetAdams

mabrams and Mr W

Thank you for your replies.