Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 6th July 2016, 04:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

It seems that you have information on your female line to Mary Elizabeth Irvine. Testing your uncle, her son, will give you her haplogroup, and if you test him to the FMS you will have as much information on her haplogroup that is available. But that information is very limited for current genealogy, because if none of her sisters, or her mother's daughters have tested, you may only discover matches at an extremely distant time factor.

I took the test trying to find information on my great grandmother, and found that no one who also had a zero step match was a current cousin match on the FF test. I have found relatives of my great grandmother through the autosomal test while the mtDNA, though interesting for really historical information, was an expensive dud for genealogy.
Old 24th July 2016, 02:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

My uncle Norman full sequence mtDNA results have just posted and it shows that haplogroup as J1c12. Under a distance of "0" it shows I have 7 matches and 4 matches at a distance of 1. It gives current email addresses under each name at that match level. Should I contact that person and better yet what should I ask her/him? I would think any of those people don't mind being contacted. I know I wouldn't mind.
Rich
Old 24th July 2016, 03:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjh View Post
My uncle Norman full sequence mtDNA results have just posted and it shows that haplogroup as J1c12. Under a distance of "0" it shows I have 7 matches and 4 matches at a distance of 1. It gives current email addresses under each name at that match level. Should I contact that person and better yet what should I ask her/him? I would think any of those people don't mind being contacted. I know I wouldn't mind.
Rich
Anyone of those 11 matches showing as a match in Family Finder? The mtDNA - Matches page would show you which ones took FF (Family Finder) test.

Anyone with more than an e-mail address in the profile? Start with these one

Anyone with a Family Tree? Take a close look at names and places (tedious, since places are not immediately visible).

I would write to matches explaining your uncle mtDNA line. Include maiden surnames (family name at birth), married family names, and places, hypothetical ones too. Dates and males do not need to be included, actually they would only be a distraction. Maybe someone would have a hit at either a name or place.

So to answer your question, provide the relevant information and ask whether they see any match to their mtDNA tree.

Good luck!

Mr W
Old 1st August 2016, 05:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Mary Elizabeth Irvine was born in 1887 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. My researcher says that my family was so poor that she never registered her birth. I am not sure what this register would show? Do you have a link to it?

My uncle Norman who is the son of Mary Elizabeth Irvine has taken the mtDNA test and his results have just posted. Joan Bailie is the only living female relative being her granddaughter and her mtDNA results are pending. So 2 in my family that take the mtDNA full sequence test.

I have heard that this test is a waste of money and maybe it is but I thought maybe someday it just might help. All of my mtDNA tests are being done in conjunction with my Ancestry.com family tree site which has info on my maternal and paternal lines going back to my 4th great grandparents. Only Mary Elizabeth Irvine has proven so difficult to pin down.
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conat View Post
Would she be in the UK's 1939 Register? That really helped me as I was struggling to pin down my grandfather and that gave us his date of birth which allowed us to verify that the baptismal information (with a variant of the surname) was correct.
Old 1st August 2016, 05:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwaiting View Post
Yes, you are correct. Testing your uncle will give you mtDNA information for his mother, his maternal grandmother, and so on. The mtFull-Sequence will enable you to determine the exact subclade status of that mtDNA line, now and in the future as new branches are found.

Some of the value in testing will depend on the haplogroup and subclade to which your uncle belongs. Some subclades are frequently seen, while others are rare. Many are widely dispersed, while (less often), they are primarily seen in a specific region or population (e.g., Finland or Ashkenazi Jews).

Even those in a 'common' sublade will often have a novel or rarely-seen mutation. In that case, an exact mtDNA match has the potential to be more meaningful and to provide genealogically-relevant information.

I've always had an interest in what my ancestors were up to in the distant past. So, it's my personal opinion that mtDNA full-sequence testing provides incredibly valuable information about one's ancestral heritage, regardless of whether it adds names to one's family tree or not.

-- Martha Hicks
Martha,
Normans full sequence mtDNA results have just posted. I was really pleased to hear that you feel this test may be worthwhile in trying to find my grandmother. To say her has been a challenge is an understatement.

I am very new in my understanding of DNA. It took me awhile to learn the tools in Ancestry but I learned. At least I have Norman's and Joan's full sequence mtDNA tests.

Any idea on what to look for? A few good clues may help point the way. I am a fairly quick study.
Rich
Old 1st August 2016, 07:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

What does it mean, "test him to the FMS"?
Rich
Old 1st August 2016, 08:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Mr W,
Thank you for your quick response. These are a few of the results. I have only started to explore these results. If I just select FF it returns 0 but if I select mtDNA these are my results,

Haplogroup Country Match Total
j1c12 Austria 1
j1c12 England 5
j1c12 Ireland 2
j1c12 Scotland 2
j1c12 Sweden 3

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Anyone of those 11 matches showing as a match in Family Finder? The mtDNA - Matches page would show you which ones took FF (Family Finder) test.

Anyone with more than an e-mail address in the profile? Start with these one

Anyone with a Family Tree? Take a close look at names and places (tedious, since places are not immediately visible).

I would write to matches explaining your uncle mtDNA line. Include maiden surnames (family name at birth), married family names, and places, hypothetical ones too. Dates and males do not need to be included, actually they would only be a distraction. Maybe someone would have a hit at either a name or place.

So to answer your question, provide the relevant information and ask whether they see any match to their mtDNA tree.

Good luck!

Mr W
Old 1st August 2016, 08:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have 15 results with email addresses listed under Normans mtDNA test results. It looks like it will keep me busy for some time.
Rich
Old 1st August 2016, 08:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

my mistake it has 8 at a distance of "0" and 4 at a distance of "1". 8 of them have FF in the designation.
Rich
Old 1st August 2016, 08:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

I just sent my 1st email trying to locate her. I want to thank everyone for the information regarding her identity and mtDNA full sequence testing. I can see that it contains an enormous amount of data. Who knows it may finally hold the key in finding her identity.
Rich