Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19th October 2013, 10:31 AM
Jdna Jdna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 68
Understanding a close match

Hello,
I would appreciate help in understanding my match results.
I was tested for yDNA67 and using the advanced matching page,
filtering for 12, 25 and 37 yDNA, I was matched to four men,
each were tested at 37 markers.
For the aforementioned filters, three were 0, 1, 2 step respectively.
The closest match was 0, 0, 2 step and he reports his paternal line coming from the same general area as mine.
In fact, his ancestral town is 115 miles from mine.
Using the "Tip" report, there's an 80% chance of a connection at 10 generations. I know my surname history for 6 generations and I know of no connection.
Being very new to DNA, Is an exact match at 12 and 25 markers relatively common?
Is this considered an "elusive" close match?
How significant are the results.
Appreciate any insights offered.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19th October 2013, 01:03 PM
J Honeychuck J Honeychuck is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 346
It would not be exciting for an R1b case. But you are exactly Y-DNA J-what?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19th October 2013, 01:13 PM
Jdna Jdna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Honeychuck View Post
It would not be exciting for an R1b case. But you are exactly Y-DNA J-what?
I haven't gotten my Haplogroup yet as there running a Backbone test.
The 3 matches I mentioned did come back as R1b1,
and the closest match (0, 0, 2 step) is a R1b1a2.
But how did you know that? And why do you say J?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19th October 2013, 02:43 PM
J Honeychuck J Honeychuck is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdna View Post
I haven't gotten my Haplogroup yet as there running a Backbone test.
The 3 matches I mentioned did come back as R1b1,
and the closest match (0, 0, 2 step) is a R1b1a2.
But how did you know that? And why do you say J?
Because your screen name is Jdna.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19th October 2013, 06:42 PM
Jdna Jdna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Honeychuck View Post
Because your screen name is Jdna.
Not so creative thinking when choosing my screen name.
Based on my match results, I assume I'll be a R1b...
So a 0, 0, 2 step match is not really close?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19th October 2013, 07:51 PM
MMaddi MMaddi is offline
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdna View Post
Not so creative thinking when choosing my screen name.
Based on my match results, I assume I'll be a R1b...
So a 0, 0, 2 step match is not really close?
The only matches you should be looking at closely are those who match you at the 37 marker level. Ignore the 12 and 25 marker level matches unless they still match you at 37 markers. The resolution of matches at 12 and 25 markers is too low to be reliable in estimating how long ago a common ancestor lived.

You do have promising matches at the 37 marker level - from what you wrote, you have four men who are 35/37 matches to you. You tested to 67 markers. What about those four men? Did any of them also test to 67 markers or just to 37? If any of them did test to 67 markers, since you don't mention any matches at the 67 marker level, that means they no longer matched you at 67 markers, meaning 60/67 or better.

You should concentrate on any of your four 37 marker matches who didn't test to 67 markers, especially the one whose paternal line lived 115 miles from your paternal line. Try to convince any matches who didn't test to 67 markers yet to upgrade to see if they're still close at 67. You may have to offer to pay for their upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19th October 2013, 08:23 PM
D.Clade D.Clade is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdna View Post
Not so creative thinking when choosing my screen name.
Based on my match results, I assume I'll be a R1b...
So a 0, 0, 2 step match is not really close?
Jdna,
Thanks for the laugh.
Matches at the 37 str level are nice but not as significant as the 67 or 111 str levels. Matches that are snp tested to confirm they are in the same subclade as you are more significant.
Is that you with the DYS19=16? If so you may be a R1b1, the V-88 group. We will not know until your backbone test is done.
Are you planning on more testing? Hope so! This area of the R1b tree needs more refinement and your snp testing via Geno2.0 or la carte snp testing would really help.
If you have not joined the R1b Gateway Project yet, please do. There is also a R1b Yahoo group associated with the project that has a lot of information for you. Thanks for your testing and let us know about your backbone test results
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20th October 2013, 04:06 AM
1798 1798 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdna View Post
Not so creative thinking when choosing my screen name.
Based on my match results, I assume I'll be a R1b...
So a 0, 0, 2 step match is not really close?
You have 11, 67 marker matches within the 57/67 range and some are R1b1c which is V88 .One man who is a GD of 5 at 67 from you seems to be the closest relation.A single SNP test will cost you 39 dollars but the Geno2 would be the best value for money.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20th October 2013, 08:34 AM
Jdna Jdna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 68
Appreciate everyone's opinions,

"Is that you with the DYS19=16?"...
Yes, I do have a 16 at DSY19. Significant?

I am playing with the "Advanced Matches" page, trying to notice and understand how different tests relate to to the results given in GD(generational distance).
Then, looking at the "Tips" page, trying to correlate the % results,
into something meaningful.

When I look for matches at only 37 and 67 markers,
the best results I get is two, 4,4 and three 4,5 GD.
If I understand, these are a better match than my previously mentioned 0,0,2 at 12,25,37 markers)....Correct?
Because the markers being tested are deeper than 12,25.
So, even though genetically, a 4,4 match at 37,67 markers is Matched further back in time, its a better match than a 0,0,2 at 12,25,37 markers.
Which is not that deep/close.
Is my understanding correct so far?
Thank everyone for their patients and insights,
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20th October 2013, 05:02 PM
D.Clade D.Clade is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdna View Post
Appreciate everyone's opinions,

"Is that you with the DYS19=16?"...
Yes, I do have a 16 at DSY19. Significant?

I am playing with the "Advanced Matches" page, trying to notice and understand how different tests relate to to the results given in GD(generational distance).
Then, looking at the "Tips" page, trying to correlate the % results,
into something meaningful.

When I look for matches at only 37 and 67 markers,
the best results I get is two, 4,4 and three 4,5 GD.
If I understand, these are a better match than my previously mentioned 0,0,2 at 12,25,37 markers)....Correct?
Because the markers being tested are deeper than 12,25.
So, even though genetically, a 4,4 match at 37,67 markers is Matched further back in time, its a better match than a 0,0,2 at 12,25,37 markers.
Which is not that deep/close.
Is my understanding correct so far?
Thank everyone for their patients and insights,
Brian
Hey Brian,

DYS19=16 is kind of an unusual value in the R1b world. Just called that out to make sure I was looking at the right kit number. That could be a significant marker, as could other markers.

See this chart for y-dna matches, #22 What is the expected relationship with my match? faq id: 919.

I think you are on the right track with messing around with the different tools like tips. It has an algorithm that takes into account the different mutation rates of str markers. The top of the R1b project that you just joined (thanks) has different colors on the chart heading for mutation rates. Tips has some limitations. Other tools, project manager advise and your own learning along the way will be of the most use. All predicated on proper snp testing. MMaddi and 1798 gave solid advise.
What do the colors for the Y-DNA results chart headings mean?
Please keep on testing.

Last edited by D.Clade; 20th October 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.