Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10th October 2016, 06:23 AM
sefarlow sefarlow is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
General Question about mtDNA

Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th October 2016, 06:39 AM
Wing_Genealogis Wing_Genealogis is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterville, ME
Posts: 236
No, mtDNA traces only a single line: your mother's mother's mother's etc. line. It is like a laser pointer, which travels a long distance, basically undiluted (no mutations).

Autosomal DNA can be thought of as a flood light. The light doesn't travel anywhere near as far, but it covers all of your ancestry.

X-DNA can be thought of as a sort of a flashlight. It doesn't cover all of your ancestry like autosomal DNA, but it can be used to travel further (in time).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th October 2016, 09:54 AM
travers travers is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefarlow View Post
Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.
What is your mtDNA haplogroup?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29th November 2016, 01:22 AM
wombat wombat is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefarlow View Post
Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.
no

mtDNA is only inherited from your mother so it only traces the strictly maternal line, a person and then their mother and their mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother's mother and so on, nothing else whatsoever (except under very, very rare circumstances)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29th November 2016, 12:36 PM
darroll darroll is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
no

mtDNA is only inherited from your mother so it only traces the strictly maternal line, a person and then their mother and their mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother's mother and so on, nothing else whatsoever (except under very, very rare circumstances)
MTDNA identified my lost UNCLE.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29th November 2016, 02:55 PM
Biblioteque Biblioteque is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 522
Blog Entries: 1
Darroll: Please tell us more about how mtDNA was used to identify your lost uncle. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29th November 2016, 06:19 PM
keigh keigh is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 475
Here's how a man can be traced using mtDNA.

A man has the same mtDNA that his mother has, so it is possible for a man to locate another man using mtDNA if the other man is also a direct male descendant from the female line.

Example, my brother's mtDNA is the same as mine, so my mother's brothers could be traced through their mtDNA as it would be the same as hers. So a maternal uncle could be traced through his testing of his mtDNA if he had taken the mtDNA test. But his children, my cousins on my mother's side would not show any of their father's mtDNA, only those cousins who descended from my aunt, my mother's sister would share my mother's mtDNA.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29th November 2016, 09:40 PM
darroll darroll is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by marietta View Post
Darroll: Please tell us more about how mtDNA was used to identify your lost uncle. Many thanks.
To make a long repeated story short:
My grandmother and her husband had a young son.
For some reason he packed up and moved to Canada in the middle of the night.
My Mom and Grandmother looked for the child their whole lives.
I did my MTDNA and bingo. There he was in Canada as a perfect match. He has a rare surname. I looked him up later and he had moved back to Jefferson, Texas.
He contacted me and wanted to know why out DNA matches.
I'm not a home wrecker so I said I don't know. I have posted this many times. His parents should of told him that his Mom is not his Mom. It's not my business.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29th November 2016, 11:36 PM
georgian1950 georgian1950 is online now
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by darroll View Post
He contacted me and wanted to know why out DNA matches.
I'm not a home wrecker so I said I don't know. I have posted this many times. His parents should of told him that his Mom is not his Mom. It's not my business.
Good Grief!

Thanks Darroll,

I always say that if you can't handle the results, don't do the test. If he was seriously trying to fill out his family tree, there is a lot he never could have figured out without your match.

Jack
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30th November 2016, 02:12 PM
darroll darroll is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
Good Grief!

Thanks Darroll,

I always say that if you can't handle the results, don't do the test. If he was seriously trying to fill out his family tree, there is a lot he never could have figured out without your match.

Jack
MTDNA testing have been very productive. Also my Deceased cousin and his girl friend had a little one that was adopted out. My cousin never had his dna tested. It was a perfect match to me because we have the same grandmother. The guy that found his father should be happy. That's what I'm here for.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Question about Forums chrstdvd Features Requests & Bug Reports Area 2 14th January 2016 08:23 AM
General Question on Matches Adinah Recreation Room 2 18th July 2014 02:25 PM
Just a general complaint... rainbow Grumbles & Gripes 5 7th June 2014 06:49 PM
General Questions Cindy Marie Ashley DNA Project 0 2nd January 2006 01:04 PM
General mtDNA Questions DGerstenberger@ DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 3 30th May 2005 11:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.