Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 10th October 2016, 06:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

General Question about mtDNA

Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.
Old 10th October 2016, 06:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

No, mtDNA traces only a single line: your mother's mother's mother's etc. line. It is like a laser pointer, which travels a long distance, basically undiluted (no mutations).

Autosomal DNA can be thought of as a flood light. The light doesn't travel anywhere near as far, but it covers all of your ancestry.

X-DNA can be thought of as a sort of a flashlight. It doesn't cover all of your ancestry like autosomal DNA, but it can be used to travel further (in time).
Old 10th October 2016, 09:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefarlow View Post
Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.
What is your mtDNA haplogroup?
Old 29th November 2016, 01:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefarlow View Post
no

mtDNA is only inherited from your mother so it only traces the strictly maternal line, a person and then their mother and their mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother's mother and so on, nothing else whatsoever (except under very, very rare circumstances)
Old 29th November 2016, 12:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
no

mtDNA is only inherited from your mother so it only traces the strictly maternal line, a person and then their mother and their mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother's mother and so on, nothing else whatsoever (except under very, very rare circumstances)
MTDNA identified my lost UNCLE.
Old 29th November 2016, 02:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Darroll: Please tell us more about how mtDNA was used to identify your lost uncle. Many thanks.
Old 29th November 2016, 06:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Here's how a man can be traced using mtDNA.

A man has the same mtDNA that his mother has, so it is possible for a man to locate another man using mtDNA if the other man is also a direct male descendant from the female line.

Example, my brother's mtDNA is the same as mine, so my mother's brothers could be traced through their mtDNA as it would be the same as hers. So a maternal uncle could be traced through his testing of his mtDNA if he had taken the mtDNA test. But his children, my cousins on my mother's side would not show any of their father's mtDNA, only those cousins who descended from my aunt, my mother's sister would share my mother's mtDNA.
Old 29th November 2016, 09:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marietta View Post
Darroll: Please tell us more about how mtDNA was used to identify your lost uncle. Many thanks.
To make a long repeated story short:
My grandmother and her husband had a young son.
For some reason he packed up and moved to Canada in the middle of the night.
My Mom and Grandmother looked for the child their whole lives.
I did my MTDNA and bingo. There he was in Canada as a perfect match. He has a rare surname. I looked him up later and he had moved back to Jefferson, Texas.
He contacted me and wanted to know why out DNA matches.
I'm not a home wrecker so I said I don't know. I have posted this many times. His parents should of told him that his Mom is not his Mom. It's not my business.
Old 29th November 2016, 11:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darroll View Post
He contacted me and wanted to know why out DNA matches.
I'm not a home wrecker so I said I don't know. I have posted this many times. His parents should of told him that his Mom is not his Mom. It's not my business.
Good Grief!

Thanks Darroll,

I always say that if you can't handle the results, don't do the test. If he was seriously trying to fill out his family tree, there is a lot he never could have figured out without your match.

Jack
Old 30th November 2016, 02:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
Good Grief!

Thanks Darroll,

I always say that if you can't handle the results, don't do the test. If he was seriously trying to fill out his family tree, there is a lot he never could have figured out without your match.

Jack
MTDNA testing have been very productive. Also my Deceased cousin and his girl friend had a little one that was adopted out. My cousin never had his dna tested. It was a perfect match to me because we have the same grandmother. The guy that found his father should be happy. That's what I'm here for.