Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 8th May 2018, 12:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Confirmed match

I finally confirmed a Y DNA match! Our common ancestor was born in 1606. The match's surname is one letter different than mine and he was listed under his daughter's name because she is managing his kit. We are at a genetic distance of 1 at 12 markers and don't match at 25 and 37.

There is another match that I suspect comes through a common ancestor born in 1790, but he didn't respond to my e-mail. Our surname has the same spelling and we match exactly at 12 and 25, with a genetic distance of 1 at 37 markers.
Old 8th May 2018, 04:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serket View Post
I finally confirmed a Y DNA match! Our common ancestor was born in 1606. The match's surname is one letter different than mine and he was listed under his daughter's name because she is managing his kit. We are at a genetic distance of 1 at 12 markers and don't match at 25 and 37.
What's your genetic distance at 25 and 37? Must be very close to a match if you have a common ancestor born in 1606.
Old 9th May 2018, 06:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serket View Post

There is another match that I suspect comes through a common ancestor born in 1790, but he didn't respond to my e-mail. Our surname has the same spelling and we match exactly at 12 and 25, with a genetic distance of 1 at 37 markers.
For sharing a 1606 ancestor you should match each other at 25 markers and 37 markers under normal circumstances. It would be doubtful to have that many mutations where you don't match each other at all. 12 marker matches really don't confirm anything. You should compare manually at 37 markers to see how many differences. Or are you saying you match each other but it is just not a perfect match at 25 and 37 markers? The other match of the genetic distance of 1 is a good match, you should try emailing again if you haven't tried already.