Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 8th May 2018, 08:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Father - Son matching

I recently gained access to my father's Y12 results, done before he passed away. They do not match my Y12 results from years ago, meaning I guess that genetic distance is 2 or more. Is this normal?
Old 8th May 2018, 10:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I recently gained access to my father's Y12 results, done before he passed away. They do not match my Y12 results from years ago, meaning I guess that genetic distance is 2 or more. Is this normal?
A difference of only 1 marker out of the first 12 won't be shown as a match either unless you both belong to the same Y-DNA Project. If you have access to his results you should be able to figure out how many out of the 12 markers you match and if you both belong to the same haplogroup etc. Do you mean you have access to his FTDNA account? Was he tested here at FTDNA or elsewhere? If he tested at FTDNA and you have access to his account upgrade his results and your's to 37 or 67 markers (they will test his using the stored sample assuming the have enough and a adequate sample).
Old 8th May 2018, 12:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Since you can test yourself as much as you want...

In case your father has tested at FTDNA, you may want to start with the Family Finder test for both of you. And that is my strong recommendation.

Mutations are random, so some genetic distances have a very low probability, but would not be considered impossible. If you would like to get an opinion, you would need to tells us both the values and the names of the markers where both of you differ. Actual values would initially not be relevant, just tell us the differences between the values and indicate when any of the values is 0 (zero).

Mr. W.

Last edited by dna; 8th May 2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: wording
Old 8th May 2018, 01:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Did he only test Y-12? If you can get into his account, hopefully he had his sample on file and you could order an upgrade.