Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 24th October 2017, 12:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
The most likely reason you have matches from the British Isles and none from Norway is that a lot more men from the British Isles (and certainly of British Isles descent) have been tested at FTDNA.
But shouldn't I be "closer" to, or have distant matches with other norwegians or scandinavians in the same haplogroup? Is it wrong to suppose that the genetic distance to them should be shorter than to people from the British Isles?

Last edited by Ivar Kristensen; 24th October 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

111 marker testing may help

the 111 market testing may clarify the Genetic distance for you.

among my 22 matches at 67-markers only 4 have done the 111 marker testing, and none of them match me at 111 markers.

these 4, which are a GD of 6 or 7 at 67 markers, are not a match to me at 111 markers...they are in reality a GD of 10 ,11, 12 and beyond.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

yes, but is it worth it?

I'm really disappointed. It feels like I'm on an island of my own. No "real" matches to anyone. How depressing. I guess I wasted my money.

Last edited by Ivar Kristensen; 24th October 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

It may not be worth updating. However, I wouldn't see your lack of matches as a waste of money. Getting tested does not guarantee that you will have meaningful matches. My own Y67 has no matches at any level. I don't see it as a waste. It just means I am the first in my lineage to test. Now I just have to wait or actively recruit to get matches. You may need to wait a week, a decade, or more. At least now you have a flag planted where those matches can find you.

In my case, I simply focused on other branches of my family tree. I had my mother's brother tested and that has meaningful matches I can pursue for my research. I've tested a few other relatives as well. So while I wait for any match on my own Y line, I can still work on other branches.

Another option is to take an autosomal DNA test like Family Finder. That will give you matches from all branches of your tree. Maybe some of your paternal cousins will show up there. Then you can recruit them to take a Y-DNA test to see if they are part of the same lineage. I've found paternal cousins on other genealogical sites. Turns out they are out there but just haven't tested or aren't that interested in genealogy.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

My own complete lack of convincingly close Y-DNA matches (Y-111 and Big Y) has allowed me to ignore all of the other McCoy families who have tested. Their McCoy genealogy is simply not my McCoy genealogy. I can safely move on to other genealogical problems.
Old 24th October 2017, 03:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

John McCoy makes a good point...the test enabled you to rule out the other 155,000 men who have taken the 67-marker test here at FTDNA. this is progress. As more men do Y testing each month you will eventually find a closer match. about 2,000 men each month are doing the 67 marker testing.

it it is also possible that the 111 marker test confirms these close 6GD matches.
Old 24th October 2017, 06:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar Kristensen View Post
I don't get why they have to share the same surname (or a variant). Doesn't surnames change completely in many cases?
My understanding is that the patronymic naming system was used in most Scandinavian countries until the 19th century and thus they did not have true hereditary surnames until then. However, I think surnames in most other western European countries (at least in the British Isles) having generally stayed consistent except for spelling variations since they were adopted, generally around 1100-1500 AD and most male genetic descendants have the same or similar surname as their ancestors in the genealogical time frame (which FTDNA defines as 15 generations, which is about since 1550). Convergent mutations can cause STR markers of unrelated ancestral men to move closer together over time and thus make it appear that their descendants are related. Because most men who are genealogically related do in fact have the same or similar surname (at least in non-patronymic countries), an apparent "match" between men who have different surnames is suspect as being the result of convergent mutations absent some additional evidence suggesting an NPE or other reason for them to have different names.

Last edited by TwiddlingThumbs; 24th October 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 24th October 2017, 06:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar Kristensen View Post
But shouldn't I be "closer" to, or have distant matches with other norwegians or scandinavians in the same haplogroup? Is it wrong to suppose that the genetic distance to them should be shorter than to people from the British Isles?
You will rarely if ever match with someone in a different haplogroup, but you are still only going to "match" with a small percentage of men in your haplogroup. I think the problem is probably lack of scandinavian test results. I think if more scandinavians in your haplogroup were tested, you would find some better matches.
Old 24th October 2017, 07:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

I would nevertheless expect to be closer to/match better with the other scandinavians in my haplogroup.

I actually match two swedes at 25 markers. One of them tested 37 markers. The other one 67. I also match a dane at 25 markers, and he tested 67.

I'm not sure that european, non-scandinavian surnames are as fixed as you claim. But I'm no expert on the subject.

Last edited by Ivar Kristensen; 24th October 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 25th October 2017, 11:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

was tired when I posted my latest reply. Ignore it.

I think we should end the discussion here.

Thank you all for your contributions!

Last edited by Ivar Kristensen; 25th October 2017 at 11:19 AM.