Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 21st May 2018, 04:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Starting New DNA Project?

I want to join a DNA project with my surname. Unfortunately, there is none at this point. Which brings me to the question, should I be the guy who starts one? I'm imagining there is a wealth of information that can be gathered, and I wouldn't mind being an admin. I just...don't know what I'm possibly getting myself into. Thoughts from anyone with experience on the topic?
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

There is a bit of work involved in initially setting up the group webpages. After that, probably not much work. You "can" do a lot of additional stuff like a pedigree page with the genealogy of patriarchs of the different lines with the surname, gather useful resources in the links section, etc. But there is not a lot you "have to" do.

At least for a while, you probably will not have much work to do related to evaluating members' kits and grouping them, because you won't have many. I set up a Stetson surname group about 6 months ago and have 3 members so far, none of them male Stetsons.
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

You have time for thinking , since FTDNA is not taking new project applications until next week.

Mr. W.

P.S.
Technicalities aside, this is one of those life activities where Thank you! is rare, while occasionally demands and expectations could be high.
Old 23rd May 2018, 06:24 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Mr. W. P.S. Technicalities aside, this is one of those life activities where Thank you! is rare, while occasionally demands and expectations could be high.
I get them on a regular basis!
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I set up a Stetson surname group about 6 months ago and have 3 members so far, none of them male Stetsons.
I'd like to think unless you have a common surname, it's going to be more of a waiting game to generate the kind of results you'd like.

DNA testing in general isn't something mainstream that the general public is eager to do. When they do it though, it can be for various reasons, a small fraction of which probably is similar to yours. When you boil it down to "people who want to fork over a couple hundred dollars for a DNA test because they want to get their y-dna tested at 67 markers to trace their deep ancestry"...that's probably about as common as people who collect model trains.

But that doesn't mean you can't target places online that are frequented with people having your surname and put out a message on your DNA project. I've seen it with lot of Scottish Clans.
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

I, or my male cousins whose kits I administer, belong to several Y surname projects. This projects are active and have many members.

However, one of my surname lines from a great grandparent did not have a project until recently. There are only three members so far with only one of those being a male carrying the surname. It's difficult to get male to test unless they are already heavily vested in genealogy.

We even have donations for a test and I along with the other members are willing to pay for tests. No takers

We all belong to Ancestry and have been trying to work that angle but so far ...nothing.
Old 23rd May 2018, 04:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm View Post
When you boil it down to "people who want to fork over a couple hundred dollars for a DNA test because they want to get their y-dna tested at 67 markers to trace their deep ancestry"...that's probably about as common as people who collect model trains.
I guess I must be rare because I do both. It probably is more like I am in trouble because both trains and genealogy are highly addictive. Right now the genealogy is winning out.

I took a look at your surname on your profile. I assume you have already taken a Y-DNA test. Have you looked at other projects which might include your surname as a variation?

Jack
Old 23rd May 2018, 06:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I took a look at your surname on your profile. I assume you have already taken a Y-DNA test. Have you looked at other projects which might include your surname as a variation?
I did and there's one sept of my surname that has a group and its origins are actually completely separate from mine. My surname has its own scottish clan and proud history, but no DNA project. Here you have other clans who literally have a page on their official clan society page asking people to join these DNA projects set up for them and have participants in the hundreds.

Even though I really don't feel like a proper representative for my last name in any fashion, I do feel an obligation that if no one's going to take the initiative, I might at well be the one to prop up something.

Last edited by cjm; 23rd May 2018 at 06:07 PM.