Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 31st October 2017, 11:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Finding Adoptee via Distant Cousins?- Possible

Hi!
I have an adopted half brother - but I dont have enough CMs in my matches for a half-sibling or half -niece / nephew. (if he had children.)

We are Acadians with a lot of cousins - distantly/closely "related"- and I was hoping somehow there would be a way I could find even the smalled link via a maternal relative. (needle in a needle factory)
I have DNA matches that have matches on both my paternal and maternal side.
I need DNA for Dummies.

Via some other DNA discussions Ive been in they say unless HE or HIS CHILDREN have tested there would be no way to gain an inch.
Ive read people with lower than "normal" CMs being more closely related than what the charts say.
And I hear of people finding birth parents via distant cousins...but my brain gets scrambled trying to figure out the how-dos of reverse searching- or what other DNA avenues there might be.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Welcome Megan!

The starting point is that genetic genealogy is both about genetics and about genealogy.

The man you had described as your adopted half brother, do you have a common mother and his birth father (genetic father) is unknown?

Are trying to find his birth father?

If this is about finding his birth father, he should have his Y DNA tested in addition to Family Finder.

Mr. W
Old 31st October 2017, 02:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Are you looking for your half brother because he was put up for adoption? If so, then he or his descendants would have to test to match you.
Old 31st October 2017, 04:10 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

If you are looking for a sibling, parent, or other very close relative, it's best to test at all 3 major DNA companies (FTDNA, 23andMe, and Ancestry), if you haven't already done so. If your half-brother or one of his children has tested, you don't know which company they chose. The DNA tests at the other 2 companies are inferior, but Ancestry has an extremely large database.

And if you want to read a DNA book, easy enough for beginners, but packed with info, try The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy by Blaine T. Bettinger. It covers all 3 companies about equally.
Old 12th November 2017, 06:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAshley View Post
Hi!
I have an adopted half brother - but I dont have enough CMs in my matches for a half-sibling or half -niece / nephew. (if he had children.)

We are Acadians with a lot of cousins - distantly/closely "related"- and I was hoping somehow there would be a way I could find even the smalled link via a maternal relative. (needle in a needle factory)
I have DNA matches that have matches on both my paternal and maternal side.
I need DNA for Dummies.

Via some other DNA discussions Ive been in they say unless HE or HIS CHILDREN have tested there would be no way to gain an inch.
Ive read people with lower than "normal" CMs being more closely related than what the charts say.
And I hear of people finding birth parents via distant cousins...but my brain gets scrambled trying to figure out the how-dos of reverse searching- or what other DNA avenues there might be.

I believe what she is saying is that she found out she has a half brother that was given up for adoption and she has no close enough matches in her FF list that could be him or his children if he had any. She is Acadian so she is going to have a lot of matches and endogamy so is there a way she can find him w no close matches.