Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 16th May 2018, 06:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

To test or not?

I sent my Ancestry autosomal raw data to Haplo Grep 2 and got a mitochondrial haplogroup of H2a2a1. It seems correct as paper trails indicate Europe as an origin before the U.S. Is there really anything new to be learned from doing a full sequence or is that site a pretty reliable tester?
Old 16th May 2018, 10:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry raw data only contains 195 mtDNA SNPs.

Full Sequence testing tests over 16000 mtDNA positions.
Each subclade branch of the mtDNA tree has a defining SNP
http://www.phylotree.org/tree/index.htm

That said, my personal opinion, based on the very limited number of mtDNA SNPs tested by Ancestry. I would not put to much faith in the H2a2a1 Haplogroup assignment.

H2a2a1 is also an old parent branch (partial haplogroup assignment), most likely if you are of this branch you will be a more recent subclade branch.
https://haplogroup.org/mtdna/rsrs/l1.../h2a2a/h2a2a1/

Full Sequence testing will give you your full Haplogroup label and match you to others who will share a TMCRA within a more recent time frame. Even then common ancestor maybe to far back to trace.

Last edited by prairielad; 16th May 2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Ancestry raw data only contains 195 mtDNA SNPs.

Full Sequence testing tests over 16000 mtDNA positions.
Each subclade branch of the mtDNA tree has a defining SNP
http://www.phylotree.org/tree/index.htm

That said, my personal opinion, based on the very limited number of mtDNA SNPs tested by Ancestry. I would not put to much faith in the H2a2a1 Haplogroup assignment.

H2a2a1 is also an old parent branch (partial haplogroup assignment), most likely if you are of this branch you will be a more recent subclade branch.
https://haplogroup.org/mtdna/rsrs/l1.../h2a2a/h2a2a1/

Full Sequence testing will give you your full Haplogroup label and match you to others who will share a TMCRA within a more recent time frame. Even then common ancestor maybe to far back to trace.
I think I will be doing the full sequence, just to narrow it down a little more and find some matches. I had the same feeling that the autosomal would not be as accurate as it could be.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:12 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I think mtDNA testing is just about useless for genealogy, except in very special cases, because even when you have an exact match, the common ancestress could have lived thousands of years ago. It's rare to find the common ancestress in a genealogical time frame.

It can sometimes prove that 2 people did not have the same mother and sometimes it can be used to separate children of an ancestor who married more than once and assign the children to the correct mother, but only when you test 2 people who have a direct matrilineal line to the wives.

I would only recommend it if you are just curious about your haplogroup.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
I think mtDNA testing is just about useless for genealogy, except in very special cases, because even when you have an exact match, the common ancestress could have lived thousands of years ago. It's rare to find the common ancestress in a genealogical time frame.

It can sometimes prove that 2 people did not have the same mother and sometimes it can be used to separate children of an ancestor who married more than once and assign the children to the correct mother, but only when you test 2 people who have a direct matrilineal line to the wives.

I would only recommend it if you are just curious about your haplogroup.
Paper trails have been pretty reliable for me for genealogy purposes as most of my ancestors immigrated to colonies where good records were kept. Once I get to their country of origin though I lose it around the 16th century in most lines. So my real interest is the ancient migrations and origins, which I think knowing the haplogroup will help with. My dad's haplogroup was actually useful in proving which surname was correct for us, since it was a toss up of three :/
Old 16th May 2018, 09:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
Paper trails have been pretty reliable for me for genealogy purposes as most of my ancestors immigrated to colonies where good records were kept. Once I get to their country of origin though I lose it around the 16th century in most lines. So my real interest is the ancient migrations and origins, which I think knowing the haplogroup will help with. My dad's haplogroup was actually useful in proving which surname was correct for us, since it was a toss up of three :/
Test, if you can afford it.

However, be prepared for surprises.

Good luck - Mr. W.