Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16th May 2018, 06:25 AM
SpitFire SpitFire is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 39
To test or not?

I sent my Ancestry autosomal raw data to Haplo Grep 2 and got a mitochondrial haplogroup of H2a2a1. It seems correct as paper trails indicate Europe as an origin before the U.S. Is there really anything new to be learned from doing a full sequence or is that site a pretty reliable tester?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16th May 2018, 10:16 AM
prairielad prairielad is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,021
Ancestry raw data only contains 195 mtDNA SNPs.

Full Sequence testing tests over 16000 mtDNA positions.
Each subclade branch of the mtDNA tree has a defining SNP
http://www.phylotree.org/tree/index.htm

That said, my personal opinion, based on the very limited number of mtDNA SNPs tested by Ancestry. I would not put to much faith in the H2a2a1 Haplogroup assignment.

H2a2a1 is also an old parent branch (partial haplogroup assignment), most likely if you are of this branch you will be a more recent subclade branch.
https://haplogroup.org/mtdna/rsrs/l1.../h2a2a/h2a2a1/

Full Sequence testing will give you your full Haplogroup label and match you to others who will share a TMCRA within a more recent time frame. Even then common ancestor maybe to far back to trace.

Last edited by prairielad; 16th May 2018 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16th May 2018, 11:37 AM
SpitFire SpitFire is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Ancestry raw data only contains 195 mtDNA SNPs.

Full Sequence testing tests over 16000 mtDNA positions.
Each subclade branch of the mtDNA tree has a defining SNP
http://www.phylotree.org/tree/index.htm

That said, my personal opinion, based on the very limited number of mtDNA SNPs tested by Ancestry. I would not put to much faith in the H2a2a1 Haplogroup assignment.

H2a2a1 is also an old parent branch (partial haplogroup assignment), most likely if you are of this branch you will be a more recent subclade branch.
https://haplogroup.org/mtdna/rsrs/l1.../h2a2a/h2a2a1/

Full Sequence testing will give you your full Haplogroup label and match you to others who will share a TMCRA within a more recent time frame. Even then common ancestor maybe to far back to trace.
I think I will be doing the full sequence, just to narrow it down a little more and find some matches. I had the same feeling that the autosomal would not be as accurate as it could be.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16th May 2018, 01:12 PM
MoberlyDrake MoberlyDrake is offline
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,530
I think mtDNA testing is just about useless for genealogy, except in very special cases, because even when you have an exact match, the common ancestress could have lived thousands of years ago. It's rare to find the common ancestress in a genealogical time frame.

It can sometimes prove that 2 people did not have the same mother and sometimes it can be used to separate children of an ancestor who married more than once and assign the children to the correct mother, but only when you test 2 people who have a direct matrilineal line to the wives.

I would only recommend it if you are just curious about your haplogroup.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16th May 2018, 05:38 PM
SpitFire SpitFire is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
I think mtDNA testing is just about useless for genealogy, except in very special cases, because even when you have an exact match, the common ancestress could have lived thousands of years ago. It's rare to find the common ancestress in a genealogical time frame.

It can sometimes prove that 2 people did not have the same mother and sometimes it can be used to separate children of an ancestor who married more than once and assign the children to the correct mother, but only when you test 2 people who have a direct matrilineal line to the wives.

I would only recommend it if you are just curious about your haplogroup.
Paper trails have been pretty reliable for me for genealogy purposes as most of my ancestors immigrated to colonies where good records were kept. Once I get to their country of origin though I lose it around the 16th century in most lines. So my real interest is the ancient migrations and origins, which I think knowing the haplogroup will help with. My dad's haplogroup was actually useful in proving which surname was correct for us, since it was a toss up of three :/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16th May 2018, 09:55 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
Paper trails have been pretty reliable for me for genealogy purposes as most of my ancestors immigrated to colonies where good records were kept. Once I get to their country of origin though I lose it around the 16th century in most lines. So my real interest is the ancient migrations and origins, which I think knowing the haplogroup will help with. My dad's haplogroup was actually useful in proving which surname was correct for us, since it was a toss up of three :/
Test, if you can afford it.

However, be prepared for surprises.


Good luck - Mr. W.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparing ancestry Y-DNA test to an FTDNA Y-DNA test tomwdcraftr Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced 2 13th July 2017 09:59 AM
Can a female who has taken the FF test match a Male who has only taken the Ydna test DMK Family Finder Basics 4 24th September 2016 01:33 PM
How to enter a FF test result into a Surname Project but w/o also entering Y-DNA test Bill Harvey Group Administrators - Advanced Chat 2 13th June 2014 12:09 AM
What does the FF test offer to the Y line that a normal YDNA test cannot? Zaru Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced 3 18th February 2011 08:31 AM
Upgrading Oxford Matrilne test to FT Full MtDNA Test Hando mtDNA - Advanced Topics 15 17th January 2008 12:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.