Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Advanced

X-DNA Advanced Advanced topics about X-Chromosome matching and anthropologic blocks based on SNPs and/or STRs.

Old 15th May 2018, 09:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlpenney74 View Post
that's the part i am trying to confirm. whether she's a first cousin or half sibling. the evidence is pointing toward half sibling, but part of me is looking for any chance possible that she's not, as due to family dynamics...if this came out, it wouldn't end well.
I thought that might be what you were up to. Maybe you should make this your own secret.

How likely is it that your father and your match's mother would have crossed paths?
Old 15th May 2018, 10:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Another avenue to take is to see if you can round up a paternal 1st cousin of yours of each of your fathers siblings.
Testing a paternal 1st cousin of possible candidates of your matches parent may shed light on whether this match is your paternal half sister or another possible relationship.

Ultimately testing your father if possible will confirm (unless he was an identical twin)
Old 15th May 2018, 10:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
I thought that might be what you were up to. Maybe you should make this your own secret.

How likely is it that your father and your match's mother would have crossed paths?
this IS my own secret and i am trying to figure it out all on my own. a few members of my dads family are aware of her, but so far no one knows where she falls on the tree.

and it's quite possible that paths were crossed as both were living in the same area at the time.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Another avenue to take is to see if you can round up a paternal 1st cousin of yours of each of your fathers siblings.
Testing a paternal 1st cousin of possible candidates of your matches parent may shed light on whether this match is your paternal half sister or another possible relationship.

Ultimately testing your father if possible will confirm (unless he was an identical twin)
4 of my 1st cousins and 2 of his brothers have tested on ancestry. (covers 3 brothers total) they all show as niece/cousin there is 1 brother left who hasn't tested. it's not looking good lol

am trying to avoid testing dad as it risks exposing the possible truth....but am thinking it might be the only way i will ever know for sure, and i really want to know the truth but know the ramifications of what would happen if it proves to be true.

Last edited by Murphy74; 15th May 2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Do you have any other siblings tested?
Comparing two full siblings to a half sibling via a chromosome browser,ie) Gedmatch 3D chromosome browser (using regular browsers will require copy and pasting to compare each person to the other per chromosome)

On areas that full siblings do not match, one will have to match the suspected half sibling.
Reason, one full sibling received parents maternal chromosome segment, the other full sibling received parents paternal chromosome segment. Suspected half sibling will have to match one of them.

For every area on each chromosomes between the full siblings that they do not match each other (each received opposite maternal and paternal Grandparents DNA) , one must match suspected half sibling. If both do not match each other nor the suspected half sibling in any of these area, suspected half sibling is not a half sibling.

Following is an example of comparing each person to one another using the Regular Gedmatch one to one with Graphic (modified manually by copy and pasting to compare)
Attached Images
File Type: png Half Sibling.png (70.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 15th May 2018, 10:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

And this is using Gedmatch 3D Browser
Code:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al27wnXopRKxiAJ5LKqDOdWf3zkp
Old 15th May 2018, 10:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

i don't have a biological sibling. could any comparison be made with one of his brothers? I have his raw data and compared our x's and my matches x. we each match him approx half the chromosome in the same location.....
Old 15th May 2018, 10:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
i don't have a biological sibling. could any comparison be made with one of his brothers? I have his raw data and compared our x's and my matches x. we each match him approx half the chromosome in the same location.....
Not via the method I mentioned above. This only works with siblings

Siblings match where they share the same grandparents DNA thus above works. Can only be one of two Grandparents (in regards to the non matching sections of full siblings vs suspected half sibling)
But it gets more complicated for extended family (cousin, Aunts, uncles)
Areas sharing with them is DNA from 1 of the 4 Great Grandparents shared between them. So one can not use the non matching segments to deduce as each may have DNA from a different Great Grandparent.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

thank you so much for all of your help. i truly do appreciate it my preconceived notions of dna have been blown apart in the past few months and have realized it's not as cut and dry as i originally thought. it is a daunting process when you only have access to limited options. i know the truth will eventually be discovered some how, but im not big on patience and waiting....
Old 16th May 2018, 06:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
4 of my 1st cousins and 2 of his brothers have tested on ancestry. (covers 3 brothers total) they all show as niece/cousin there is 1 brother left who hasn't tested. it's not looking good lol

am trying to avoid testing dad as it risks exposing the possible truth....but am thinking it might be the only way i will ever know for sure, and i really want to know the truth but know the ramifications of what would happen if it proves to be true.
So are you saying your father has 4 brothers and 2 have tested while a child has tested of the 3rd brother (but not that brother himself) with nobody representing the 4th brother? Or do you mean something else? The brother you say that hasn't tested has any of his children tested? If not would the brother himself be available to be tested or a child of his (and if so is this child male or female)? I guess I'm just trying to get a grasp on who has tested, who hasn't tested and who might be available to test from all the brothers.

The odds would be extremely high that this woman is your half sibling but I understand you want to be 100% and not wanting to test your father at this stage.