Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 5th April 2018, 12:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Lightbulb Between user full mtDNA transfer

Hi, I believe this topic has not been addressed yet after browsing through the mtDNA subforums.

Since my mtDNA haplogroup etc comes from my mother, why FTDNA has not allow transferring my test results to my mother's profile and kit? Other than raising revenue of course.
I believe that since the mtDNA is not changing, we should be able to share the result (or connect it) with another kit/profile or at least be able to enter the haplogroup manually. If the haplogroup etc have been obtained from other vendors or another relative, there is no point to spend the $200 for another test.

Do you know if other sites for DNA geeks allow such options?
Old 5th April 2018, 02:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

I get what you're saying, but the only way to be absolutely certain of your mtDNA haplogroup and mutations etc is to do the test yourself.
Old 5th April 2018, 03:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodzynek View Post
Hi, I believe this topic has not been addressed yet after browsing through the mtDNA subforums.

Since my mtDNA haplogroup etc comes from my mother, why FTDNA has not allow transferring my test results to my mother's profile and kit? Other than raising revenue of course.
I believe that since the mtDNA is not changing, we should be able to share the result (or connect it) with another kit/profile or at least be able to enter the haplogroup manually. If the haplogroup etc have been obtained from other vendors or another relative, there is no point to spend the $200 for another test.

Do you know if other sites for DNA geeks allow such options?
Hello Rodzynek!

Welcome to genetic genealogy research.

You are almost right, in most cases children have the same haplogroup as their mother, but...
  1. You two might have different mutations = there is no reason for you to have identical mtDNA. So testing your mother (in addtion to the test you had) allows for better matching in your mtDNA lineage.
  2. If you think about the haplogroup concept, it exists because mutations do happen. Without testing yourself and your mother you cannot know that a mutation that defines a new branch did not occur in your mtDNA.
  3. Not your case, but due to use of donated eggs and mitochondrial replacement therapy (MRT), child and mother mtDNA are no longer guaranteed to be related like they used to be (although similar mtDNA is preferred and sought in case or MRT).

Dzień dobry Rodzynku!

Czy będzie Tobie wygodniej jeśli objaśnię po polsku?

Mr. W.

Last edited by dna; 5th April 2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Reworked
Old 5th April 2018, 04:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

I add my mtDNA and yDNA haplogroups in the About Me section of each of my kits profiles which I manage if I know the correct Haplogroup assignments .

Thus others can use their own judgement to validity since it is not confirmed by FTDNA mTDNA or yDNA SNP testing for that kit holder
Old 5th April 2018, 05:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
I add my mtDNA and yDNA haplogroups in the About Me section of each of my kits profiles which I manage if I know the correct Haplogroup assignments .

Thus others can use their own judgement to validity since it is not confirmed by FTDNA mTDNA or yDNA SNP testing for that kit holder
I've done the same (and added presumed). I think they're fairly safe assumptions based on the known relationships and shared DNA.

In general it's the paternal relationships that can be less certain, but not always. Sometimes when a married man had an affair the child was raised in the father's family. This is the case for one of our newly discovered cousins.