Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Advanced

X-DNA Advanced Advanced topics about X-Chromosome matching and anthropologic blocks based on SNPs and/or STRs.

Old 15th February 2017, 10:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Female 1st cousins

Should two female first cousins match on the X chromosome?

My first cousin and I (both females) descend from the same grandparents. My father and her mother are siblings. Shouldn't my 1st cousin and I match on the X chromosome by having received some X from our common grandmother?
Old 16th February 2017, 12:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Not always, it just depends what each of your parents received and then passed on to you guys

You would have received your fathers X intact, which is from his mother only, random mixture of her two

your cousin would have received a random mixture of her mothers two X (mother received one from your grandfather and random mixture of your grandmothers two)

So depending on how much was shared between brother and sister on their maternal X, shared segment may not have been passed down to your cousin. She could have inherited your grandfathers X where her mother and your father shared.

Last edited by prairielad; 16th February 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Not always, it just depends what each of your parents received and then passed on to you guys

You would have received your fathers X intact, which is from his mother only, random mixture of her two

your cousin would have received a random mixture of her mothers two X (mother received one from your grandfather and random mixture of your grandmothers two)

So depending on how much was shared between brother and sister on their maternal X, shared segment may not have been passed down to your cousin. She could have inherited your grandfathers X where her mother and your father shared.
Thanks prairielad. I have a similar question which probably has the same answer but just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

I have a half sister. We have the same mother but different fathers. We do not share on the X chromosome.

I understand we would each receive an X from our respective fathers and each receive an X from our common mother.

So, I guess her two X's could have come from her father's mother and hypothetically our mother's father (or mother's mother). And my two X's could come from my father's mother and our mother's mother (or mother's father).
Old 16th February 2017, 11:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn4ever View Post

So, I guess her two X's could have come from her father's mother and hypothetically our mother's father (or mother's mother). And my two X's could come from my father's mother and our mother's mother (or mother's father).
Correct, each may have inherited mothers opposite X which did not undergo recombination.

Or each have a crossover point in close proximity
ie)you inherited mother paternal X at beginning of your maternal X, sister inherited mothers maternal X at the beginning of her maternal X.
Each have a crossover point close together, where you switch to inheriting your mother maternal X and sister switches to inheriting your mothers paternal X.

With out a 3 sibling reference, it will be one or the other
Old 16th February 2017, 11:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks. If the X is there on an autosomal match it's a nice PLUS to use with the X chart.

However, if it doesn't show up it doesn't mean that the match isn't there on the mother's line. Just that finicky X didn't follow the course we hoped it would