Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 28th December 2016, 09:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Feature request: export gedcom file from family tree.

I would like to be able to export my family tree as a gedcom file.
Old 28th December 2016, 09:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

GEDCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholeman View Post
I would like to be able to export my family tree as a gedcom file.
I am a bit lost now. Got my results. I have done tons of research on my family tree at ancestry. I started rebuilding it here. I downloaded some Heritage software but now I am so lost. Maybe just tired...
Old 29th December 2016, 06:54 AM
R-BY39877

FTDNA's tree program does not offer that function. That is just one of the MANY reasons I always suggest people use a real genealogy program for building their trees. There are several free trial versions out there.

With your own program you have your information on your computer. Create your own GEDCOM and upload it to FTDNA. When you have a change to make to your tree make it on your computer, delete the old tree from FTDNA and upload your new GEDCOM. It is much easier to make changes in your own tree program and upload it than to try to make a change on FTDNA's tree.