Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 9th June 2015, 12:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

For People New to Family Tree DNA (FTDNA)

Even though I am pretty new myself, here are a few things I wish I would have known in the beginning:

When you return your sample to FTDNA, it does not go directly to FTDNA. It sits in the post office for a while until FTDNA picks it up or the post office delivers it to FTDNA.

Once FTDNA has your sample, it is not immediately batched. It seems like the batches happen on Wednesdays, so if your kit is received on a Thursday, it may not be batched for 6 days.

When the sample is batched and you see a completion date range, that range can be changed to a later range. This can happen more than once.

FTDNA may not send you an email that your results are ready. They may also send an email about results quite a while after your have already received the results the email references.

When I had two family members send their samples in for Family Finder (one on 4/13 and one on 4/14), I thought FTDNA would receive the samples and start testing a few days later, and that if my results were ready at 5 weeks, I would have them around 5/21 or 5/22. This was not the case. I received one result on 6/2 and am still waiting on the other. I wish FTDNA would be a little more informative about the process.
Old 9th June 2015, 12:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Add Houston USPS problems (unrelated to FTDNA)...
Old 9th June 2015, 12:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Too add on, if you haven't already mailed your dna sample back to Houston, take a picture of the entire envelop that FTDNA provided you to return your sample in. This will come in handy if your kit should happen to take forever to arrive back at FTDNA. It contains the tracking information and the mailing return addresses that you need should you need to track the package. I have had to do this more than once as most mail takes less than 2 weeks, but some kits will take a month or longer due to whatever is going on in the postal system.

Just because you receive the "delay" notice, does not necessarily mean your results will not come back as scheduled. But, still be prepared for the test to come back later than originally scheduled.
Old 11th July 2018, 01:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarnacki View Post
Too add on, if you haven't already mailed your dna sample back to Houston, take a picture of the entire envelop that FTDNA provided you to return your sample in. This will come in handy if your kit should happen to take forever to arrive back at FTDNA. It contains the tracking information and the mailing return addresses that you need should you need to track the package. I have had to do this more than once as most mail takes less than 2 weeks, but some kits will take a month or longer due to whatever is going on in the postal system.

Just because you receive the "delay" notice, does not necessarily mean your results will not come back as scheduled. But, still be prepared for the test to come back later than originally scheduled.

I have some really good advice! NEVER NEVER NEVER just drop your DNA return package in a mailbox! Personally take it in to the post office to have them "SCAN" it & DON'T lose your receipt either because you probably will need it. IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT SCANNED & IT GETS LOST OR WHATEVER YOU WILL HAVE NO PROOF YOU EVEN DROPPED IT IN A MAILBOX & WILL HAVE TO PAY ABOUT $50 FOR A REPLACEMENT KIT! BUT IF it get's lost in the mail & you have the tracking number then FTDNA will replace the kit for FREE. ALSO, If check the tracking every few days, I was told it shouldn't take but maybe 10 days to deliver package. If it's longer call the USPS and start an "investigation" & write down the case number on your receipt & they will also give you the phone number to the local Houston post office responsible for FTDNA deliveries (the one time I called the lady kept putting me on hold for over 10 minutes & I had to call back several times & finally ask to talk to a supervisor before she helped me!) LONG STORY SHORT, I received a TXT message notification THE SAME DAY SAYING IT WAS DELIVERED & NEXT DAY I received an email from FTDNA that they received the kit! ****OH & SUBSCRIBE to DELIVERY NOTIFICATIONS for EACH TRACKING NUMBER. I even had 2 kits going back & forth between 2 cities & then finally got to Houston (that's when I opened an investigation with USPS) finally I received message from FTDNA they received my 2 kits but the USPS tracking info said "In Route to next facility" for 3 days straight?! So I was able to disregard those as DEFINITELY DELIVERED.
*ALSO I AGREE with jsarnacki above to take a picture of the envelope too! The USPS did need the address the kit was being delivered to for the "investigation!"

Last edited by MyTr33; 11th July 2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 13th July 2018, 10:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTr33 View Post
...WILL HAVE TO PAY ABOUT $50 FOR A REPLACEMENT KIT!
I think FTDNA ships a replacement kit for free (in the US) or has done so in the past at least.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

DNA matches

How is it possible to have over 4,000 DNA matches on Family Finder ?
Old 16th July 2018, 04:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Criteria for an autosomal "match" are quite loose. Yes, it is possible to have thousands of matches, but you will be lucky if you are able prove a relationship with even the closest of your matches. "Matches" can easily come from relationships so far back that they are almost impossible to prove, even if you and the other guy have deep pedigrees. Concentrate on the ones where the predicted relationship is not farther back than about 3rd cousins, and where the match has posted some genealogical information, such as a pedigree.
Old 16th July 2018, 04:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendabbb View Post
How is it possible to have over 4,000 DNA matches on Family Finder ?
This isn't really relevant to the topic, you'd be better off starting a new one.
Old 17th July 2018, 06:11 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
This isn't really relevant to the topic, you'd be better off starting a new one.
It was brendabbb's 1st post and brendabbb joined the forum in May. Isn't brendabbb new to FTDNA? Sounds like a valid question for the topic.
Old 17th July 2018, 06:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

brendabbb: In answer to your question, I have 5578 matches at FTDNA and have Colonial America heritage.

And, from previous posts, it has been stated that those with Askenazi Jewish heritage can have considerably more matches (in the thousands) than others.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 17th July 2018 at 06:53 AM.