Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 2nd February 2015, 11:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

23andMe Haplogroup vs Y-STR Predicted Haplogroup

Could anyone tell me which is more accurate - 23andMe predicted haplogroup or a Y37 FTDNA predicted haplogroup? It's my understanding SNP's can only confirm a terminal haplogroup so I'm wondering if in fact 23andMe is more accurate as it uses SNP's.
Old 2nd February 2015, 01:33 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Since 23andMe actually tests SNPs, as you point out, in many, if not most cases, it will give you a more downstream haplogroup assignment than an FTDNA prediction based on STRs. FTDNA is predicting (not actually testing SNPs), so their predictions are more conservative and will usually be upstream of the actual most downstream known SNP.

However, remember that 23andMe assigns haplogroups based on known SNPs and the haplotree from 2010. There's been a tremendous explosion in knowledge of SNPs and changes in the haplotree since then. That's due to results from the Geno 2.0 and Big Y tests.

The bottom line is that if you're seriously interested in knowing your most downstream SNP, you'll have to do more testing at FTDNA. The first step is to join the appropriate haplogroup project, based on your predicted haplogroup or, if the haplogroup project accepts it, your 23andMe haplogroup assignment. Then the project administrators can advise you about how to proceed in SNP testing, based on their knowledge of the latest developments from Big Y results in their haplogroup/subclade.
Old 2nd February 2015, 03:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

The Deep Clade test I took in 2011 was more informative than the 23andme test I took in 2014 which is based off of SNPs from 2010 as MMaddi stated. It's a shame that they got rid of the Deep Clade test.

Regardless, what MMaddi said is best.