Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 12th December 2014, 01:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

So Confused. Please help.

Hello, I am new to this. However, I have read some of the tutorials, and it seems the more I read the more confused I become.

I am really hoping some of you can help me better understand what the information below means in terms of shared genetic relationships with my close matches.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Me(female): Haplogroup: L2e

Origins:
71% African
28% European
16% Scandinavian
10% West Central Europe
2% Finland and Northern Siberian
1% Native American

My Shared Genetic Relationships (All males)

1)Haplogroup: H = 2nd - 4th Cousin
96% European
Shared cM = 53
Matches me on 8 segments

2)Haplogroup: H = 3rd - 5th Cousin
100% European
Shared cM = 42
Matches me on 4 segments

3)Haplogroup: J1c3a1 = 3rd - 5th Cousin
100% European
Shared cM = 43
Matches me on 9 segments

4)Haplogroup: T2f-T19 = 3rd - 5th Cousin
98% European
Shared cM = 24
Matches me on 3 segments
Old 12th December 2014, 07:21 PM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
Hello, I am new to this. However, I have read some of the tutorials, and it seems the more I read the more confused I become.

I am really hoping some of you can help me better understand what the information below means in terms of shared genetic relationships with my close matches.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Me(female): Haplogroup: L2e

Origins:
71% African
28% European
16% Scandinavian
10% West Central Europe
2% Finland and Northern Siberian
1% Native American

My Shared Genetic Relationships (All males)

1)Haplogroup: H = 2nd - 4th Cousin
96% European
Shared cM = 53
Matches me on 8 segments

2)Haplogroup: H = 3rd - 5th Cousin
100% European
Shared cM = 42
Matches me on 4 segments

3)Haplogroup: J1c3a1 = 3rd - 5th Cousin
100% European
Shared cM = 43
Matches me on 9 segments

4)Haplogroup: T2f-T19 = 3rd - 5th Cousin
98% European
Shared cM = 24
Matches me on 3 segments
Hi Sunflower,
Your mitochondrial DNA looks like it is from Africa. That is only a single line in your pedigree, your mother's mother's mothers' mother etc. all the way back to Africa. However, you have other lines that do not follow the all-female line. You appear to be mostly African (71%), Native American (1%) and European (28%). Does that seem likely to you? This would be a common pattern for African Americans.

Those males of European heritage in your match list have mitochondrial DNA that is not African. Their mother's mother's mother etc. came from Europe most likely. Males get mitochondrial DNA from their mother but it stops with them. A male does not pass his mtDNA down to his children. These males can still be your cousins even if it is not through the all-female line. Perhaps your African cousins simply have not been tested yet. Some populations are not well sampled in the database. You are likely to find people related to you who are of European descent and they may not have recent African ancestry.
Old 12th December 2014, 08:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

@Sunflower

Distant DNA matching is a little bit of a guessing game (science behind it is such), so many people found it valuable to take a look at the Longest Block one is sharing with a match. Some find it that quality of the match (guess) is only good when the Longest Block is above 20cM, some when it is above 15cM.

You have to select Show Full View (it is on the left) to see the the Longest Block values. Unfortunately, at this moment, sorting by Longest Block values can be selected, but it does not work...

I do not know whether in the forum there is anybody who had found common paper trail ancestry with a match with whom they shared less than 12cM of the Longest Block.

Good luck - W.

P.S. The above means that I recall someone having a real (not an unproven cousin) with whom their Longest Block was 12cM.
Old 12th December 2014, 09:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

There is a very steep learning curve for genetic genealogy, so do not be intimidated - it just takes time.

As far as Family Finder matches, I'd recommend ignoring the total segment counts as they include small regions of matching DNA that can be misleading as far as genealogy. As someone mentioned, going by longest segment might be more useful for understanding how close someone is related to you.

Using Y or mtDNA haplogroups to help understand Family Finder results is usually far less useful than newcomers might expect.
Old 13th December 2014, 08:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
I do not know whether in the forum there is anybody who had found common paper trail ancestry with a match with whom they shared less than 12cM of the Longest Block.
I have a 7th cousin by paper trail with a longest block of 8.68, of course I cannot confirm that the segement actually comes from that common ancestor.
Old 13th December 2014, 08:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile @awheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by awheaton View Post
I have a 7th cousin by paper trail with a longest block of 8.68, of course I cannot confirm that the segment actually comes from that common ancestor.

I guess a book could (should?) be written about DNA matching . And I should have been more precise...

Finding the 7th cousin is beyond the practical and theoretical limits of Family Finder. Ordinarily, the 7th cousins would share around 0.21cM (see http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics).

W.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Distant DNA matching is a little bit of a guessing game (science behind it is such), so many people found it valuable to take a look at the Longest Block one is sharing with a match. Some find it that quality of the match (guess) is only good when the Longest Block is above 20cM, some when it is above 15cM.

You have to select Show Full View (it is on the left) to see the the Longest Block values. Unfortunately, at this moment, sorting by Longest Block values can be selected, but it does not work...

Good luck - W.

P.S. The above means that I recall someone having a real (not an unproven cousin) with whom their Longest Block was 12cM.
My mother has a match, Longest block 8.55CM with total shared 41CM. According to genealogical records they are 6th cousins once removed.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:

I guess a book could (should?) be written about DNA matching . And I should have been more precise...

Finding the 7th cousin is beyond the practical and theoretical limits of Family Finder. Ordinarily, the 7th cousins would share around 0.21cM (see http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics).

W.
Those numbers are averages. DNA changes randomly and after 5 generations, which is at the 4th cousin level, the longest block that is passed down varies widely. It is not impractical nor beyond theoretical limits of Family Finder to find a paper trail to someone that matches at less than 12cM, but over 7cM, that go back further than a 7th cousin. I have done that several times.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

So confused. Please help.

Hi Kathy Johnston,

Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful.

Yes, my results seem to be what I expected, not really any surprises. I understood (so I thought) the basics of mtDNA, i.e. me, my mother, her mother's maternal line, and so forth.

However, I didn't understand how the shared genetic relationships factored in with the four males of mostly European ancestry whose mtDNA was so different than mine. It wasn't so much their genders as it was their haplogroups that had me scratching my head.

My mother's maternal line goes back to a a male and female born in the mid-1800's who were mulatto. My mother's paternal line goes back to a Native American female born in the early 1800's who had six children with a white male born in the same time period. Blue eyes are quite common in my mother's family, including her 2 siblings, her father, and some of his siblings. So, the 28% European was not unexpected.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

So confused. Please help.

Hi dna,

Thanks you so much for responding. My longest block is:
96% European
Haplogroup: H = 2nd - 4th Cousin

Shared cM = 53
Matches me on 8 segments

This one, and the other 3 that I listed above are my longest blocks. The blocks range from 53.00 to 24.00. They all show up as matches in “The Matrix”. The thing is, they all have a different mtDNA haplogroup than me. Kathy Johnston helped me better understand why that might be.

After reading your response, I went back and collected the next group of Longest Blocks which ranged from 40.00 to 28.00 but none showed up as a match, not even in “The Matrix”.

Thanks again, for all your help.