Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 15th June 2012, 04:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

DNA test to match female to male

Y-DNA test match father to son and the mtDNA test can match son to mother and daughter to mother, right? Is there a DNA test to match a female to a male line? Thanks for any help.

John
Old 15th June 2012, 05:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

We used FF and my grandmother matched her son.
Old 15th June 2012, 05:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Either uniline test could be employed if you have testing candidates who span both lines and you are willing to test Y or Mt to a conclusive degree (at least both HVR's and 37/67 Y-STR's) and you test, possibly, numerous family members. Absent such candidates or conditions, Family Finder will yield conclusive results ... given the range of potential sharing between more distant family members ...
Old 15th June 2012, 07:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darroll View Post
We used FF and my grandmother matched her son.
Thanks for the info.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Either uniline test could be employed if you have testing candidates who span both lines and you are willing to test Y or Mt to a conclusive degree (at least both HVR's and 37/67 Y-STR's) and you test, possibly, numerous family members. Absent such candidates or conditions, Family Finder will yield conclusive results ... given the range of potential sharing between more distant family members ...
Thanks. So, are you saying the Family Finder would give DNA results for both the father and mother, when the test is taken by a female? I took a Y-DNA test and I discovered that I do not match any Hale at the Family Tree DNA Hale Project. I match a known cousin at the Hale DNA, but they don't match any Hale either. FTDNA notified us that we match the following surnames: Acker, Aker, and Akers. Another cousin informed me that her mother always told her and her brother were nor really Hale, they were Akers. Her mother said that an Akers was adopted by a Hale family. So, another cousin told me today that she was on a waiting list for a DNA test to determine if she was an Akers or Hale. This cousin was not sure if the female test she is waiting for will tell her if she is related to this Akers male line or the Hale male line.

So, will the Family Finder test tell her this?

Thanks.

John Hale
Old 16th June 2012, 01:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by migoblu View Post
Thanks. So, are you saying the Family Finder would give DNA results for both the father and mother, when the test is taken by a female? I took a Y-DNA test and I discovered that I do not match any Hale at the Family Tree DNA Hale Project. I match a known cousin at the Hale DNA, but they don't match any Hale either. FTDNA notified us that we match the following surnames: Acker, Aker, and Akers. Another cousin informed me that her mother always told her and her brother were nor really Hale, they were Akers. Her mother said that an Akers was adopted by a Hale family. So, another cousin told me today that she was on a waiting list for a DNA test to determine if she was an Akers or Hale. This cousin was not sure if the female test she is waiting for will tell her if she is related to this Akers male line or the Hale male line.

Thanks.

John Hale
I have generally found that FamilyFinder can bring up ancestral names I am familiar with 3-5 generations back. Sometimes my actual FF cousins have these names themselves. Most of the time though I see these names in their ancestral name lists. The same holds true with my elderly mother and father's accounts as well. You have to be patient though: Usually, a test-taker doesn't get all the answers from his or her original list of cousins. See what information you can gather over a year's time.

Last edited by mixedkid; 16th June 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 16th June 2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

John Hale
A family finder test wont tell your female cousin what specific surname she is related to, It will just tell her if she is related to you or not and if she is your close cousin. Family Finder is autosomal and can go to any ancestor on any side of her family. Its not specific like Y-DNA. There is no DNA test for women to prove a surname line like Y-DNA can prove male line surname on men. How far back is this possible adoption in your family?
Old 16th June 2012, 09:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaffa View Post
A family finder test wont tell your female cousin what specific surname she is related to, It will just tell her if she is related to you or not and if she is your close cousin. Family Finder is autosomal and can go to any ancestor on any side of her family. Its not specific like Y-DNA. There is no DNA test for women to prove a surname line like Y-DNA can prove male line surname on men. How far back is this possible adoption in your family?
So, if she's taking the Family Finder test, it will tell her if she's related to me and the cousin my DNA matches? Then, since my DNA matches Acker, Aker, and Akers and not Hale, then that would mean she's an Acker, Aker, Akers on the male side?
Old 16th June 2012, 09:49 AM
mtDNA: H1ak

There's an Eckhardt DNA Project that includes Akers.
Old 16th June 2012, 09:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
So, if she's taking the Family Finder test, it will tell her if she's related to me and the cousin my DNA matches? Then, since my DNA matches Acker, Aker, and Akers and not Hale, then that would mean she's an Acker, Aker, Akers on the male side?
Oh, by the way this adoption or whatever it was may have happened between 1800 and 1820 in KY, TN, or VA. We are of the belief that it happened in Grayson County or Wythe County, VA.