Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 4th July 2018, 12:10 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I don't bother about ethnicity results. My mother is at least 75% French and German, but MyOrigins gives her only 17% West and Central Europe. But This tells you a lot about MyOrigins:

My father 0% Sephardic
My mother <2% Sephardic
Me 14% Sephardic

That's a neat trick!

I think Western European populations have been mixing freely for so many thousands of years that there's very little genetic difference. Think of all the migrations of Germanic tribes, including the Franks, into France, think of all the wars, trade, travelers,individuals moving, clerics, the encouragement of foreign settlers after the 30 Years War. I think most of my ancestors in the Bas-Rhin area of France came fro Switzerland.

One of the more interesting things in this article https://www.theguardian.com/science/...erman-ancestry is the previously unknown migration from "France" to Britain sometime between the last Ice Age and the Norman invasion in 1066. I must say, that's not a very specific time frame!!!
Old 4th July 2018, 12:41 PM

The big thing is your list of matches. If they verify your tree, you're fine. If you find very close matches who are share a common ancestor, but who seem to be unconnected with anyone in your tree, you may have a problem! A Y-DNA test may turn up a non-paternal event, etc.

But as long as your matches support your tree, ignore your ethnicity results and go with your tree. The only problem, of course, is that at-DNA can only support a tree for a few recent generations. We soon reach the point where we have ancestors from whom we received no DNA, or at least no DNA that can be reliably measured. Your matches should confirm recent generations though.
Old 11th July 2018, 08:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Both Ancestry and another site include for example, areas as far north as England in "Iberia" map bubbles. The bubbles also extended over southern France, not northern and western France or the Benelux countries. So if the French ancestry is more from certain areas of France, like Bayonne or Marseilles, maybe this increases the Iberian. I do wish they would clarify "Iberian".
Old 13th July 2018, 08:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensrchr2 View Post
Both Ancestry and another site include for example, areas as far north as England in "Iberia" map bubbles. The bubbles also extended over southern France, not northern and western France or the Benelux countries. So if the French ancestry is more from certain areas of France, like Bayonne or Marseilles, maybe this increases the Iberian. I do wish they would clarify "Iberian".
I wish ancestry and FTDNA would get rid of those blobs and just map out the area instead of throwing our genetics up on a make-shift ''radar'' of sorts. These companies are good for matches, but they've got a long way to go in the realm of ethnic origins!
Old 13th July 2018, 05:40 PM

I don't know that they'll ever be able to do better with Western Europe. Too much mixing of peoples, too little variation in DNA. They should have had just two categories for Western Europe: North of the Alps (including the UK) and South of the Alps.

Even then, FTDNA can't seem to distinguish between Western Europe and Eastern Europe.

Why is it important to know your ethnicity anyway? It might help some adoptees perhaps. Otherwise, spend 20-30 years constructing an extremely accurate tree and you'll have a really good idea of your ethnicity. But why is it important? Your allegiance to a certain European country and to your family is, in most cases, more important than your ethnicity.

Ancestry.com has blown this ethnicity thing out of all proportion.

My city used to have Greek, Scottish, German, Italian, etc. festivals, one ethnicity a weekend in the summer. I enjoyed them all, whether or not I had any ancestor belonging to the particular ethnicity being celebrated.
Old 19th July 2018, 08:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

https://www.genealogyexplained.com/d...have-same-dna/

This is an interesting read for those of us who have questions about the differing ethnicity estimates siblings can get.