Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th July 2018, 03:52 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Alexandrina, as I mentioned in another thread, I had not had success in converting the Ahnentafel text file produced with the DNAarboretum Chrome extension to a GEDCOM file, using the Kitty Cooper ahnentafel-to-gedcom-converter.

The DNAarboretum Chrome extension produces the ahnentafel information on a web page, from which I copy and paste the text from the web page into a text document (.txt file) and save it. This ahnentafel text file follows the paternal and maternal lines (pedigree), but does not include any siblings that may be shown in the FTDNA myFamilyTree.

Is not including siblings what you mean by "DNArboretum does NOT work for FTDNA Trees"? I found that it worked best when the FTDNA tree was in pedigree view, which seemed to gather all the generations.

At any rate, my lack of success with the second part of the process, using Kitty Cooper's ahnentafel-to-gedcom-converter, had been because it didn't seem to convert the ahnentafel text file into a .ged file format that my genealogy software (Reunion) would import. I was getting this message: "That was not a valid GEDCOM file, and/or was not formatted according to the GEDCOM specifications (4.0 or 5.5)."
I was able to play around with the file, and found that by changing the "CHAR" type from "UNICODE" to "UTF-8," I was able to import the .ged file into Reunion successfully. I had also removed some lines with location information, but the CHAR change seemed to be the key.

If others have had success with these tools and this method, please post your experience.