Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 21st May 2018, 11:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Maternal Haplogroup and X Chromosomes

Hello there! I need some help understanding my results and a match that came up on 23 and me.

An Uncle came up as a match, someone I do not know. We share 26.4% of our DNA. He was living in the same town I was born in for certain a year before I was born.

He also matches my son's DNA as a 1st cousin and they share 15.7% of their DNA. So I am fairly certain it is not an error in testing and he is my Uncle.

The Uncle does not match my maternal haplogroup (mine is V, his is H5a1 ) but we do share a large portion of X chromosomes. Two segments on the X line, one is 25.04cm and the other is 32.94cm. We share a total of 40 segments.

Using this information, can I determine if he is my uncle on my mother or father's side?

DNA from either of my parents is not available.

Thank you in advance for any information you can help me with.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Mitochondrial DNA is passed only from mother to child, so if suspected uncle is your mother's full sibling, he would have the same mitochondrial DNA as you and your biological mother. I am assuming that "V" and "H51a" are mitochondrial DNA results, and that you are female based on your name. Females receive X DNA from both parents and the amount a female shares with an uncle on either side is variable, so I think the mitochondrial DNA is more useful in your particular situation. If the individual is an uncle, he is on your paternal side. Are you sure he couldn't be a grandfather? How many cM do you share with him? Have you contacted him to see what he knows about your relationship?

Last edited by Epiphyte; 22nd May 2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

@ Brandy Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphyte View Post
Mitochondrial DNA is passed only from mother to child, so if suspected uncle is your mother's full sibling, he would have the same mitochondrial DNA as you and your biological mother. I am assuming that "V" and "H51a" are mitochondrial DNA results, and that you are female based on your name. Females receive X DNA from both parents and the amount a female shares with an uncle on either side is variable, so I think the mitochondrial DNA is more useful in your particular situation. If the individual is an uncle, he is on your paternal side. Are you sure he couldn't be a grandfather? How many cM do you share with him? Have you contacted him to see what he knows about your relationship?
If you or your uncle have siblings, testing them would help too. Tests of your children do not influence the outcome.

Mr. W.
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphyte View Post
Are you sure he couldn't be a grandfather? How many cM do you share with him? Have you contacted him to see what he knows about your relationship?
We share 1963cm and 40 segments.

He's younger than my mother by almost 2 years, so probably not a grandfather.

I did contact him, here's the quick recap of how this went. Once I saw his name, it's a pretty unique name, I started Googling and I found 1 person with his name that was from Indiana (that's what was listed on his 23&me account, and had moved to the town I was born in the year before I was born.
So that was way too much of a coincidence and I assumed he had to a paternal uncle and therefore my biological father was a brother of his. I emailed him and then followed that up with a phone call.. he says none of his brothers were in the area at that time and there's no way. I found one of his nieces and asked for her help and she checked with relatives to see who was in the area in '75 and they all said none of them.

I realize that this could or could not be the case. If an un-planned, out of wedlock or adulterous pregnancy took place they may want to hide it.

Now, just recently, my MATERNAL grandmother told me that she had given up a baby, a boy. He would have been the same age that the newly discovered uncle is, so we then wondered if this uncle was on the Maternal side! (I think the haplogroup thing eliminates that possibility though).

So, that's where I'm at. Tah-dah!
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy Lynn View Post

Now, just recently, my MATERNAL grandmother told me that she had given up a baby, a boy. He would have been the same age that the newly discovered uncle is, so we then wondered if this uncle was on the Maternal side! (I think the haplogroup thing eliminates that possibility though).

So, that's where I'm at. Tah-dah!
Is V a haplogroup 23andme assigned? If so, I am surprised you only received V as it is a old parent branch (Age: 9,739.5 1,357.6). I assumed 23andme would have assigned you deeper into more recent subclade...

Try your 23andme Raw data with following utility to see if it can predict a deeper Haplogroup subclade then just V.
https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/

In regards to your above that I Quoted, testing your Grandmother would also answer question. If she is available to test, I recommend testing her as well, due to fact you only carry about 25% of her DNA.
Old 22nd May 2018, 02:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for that link! I uploaded my raw data but I have no idea what I am looking at here...
Is there a key or something specific I should be looking for? eek!

I see a click for help link on there so I'll try that in the morning.
Grandmother might be willing to test, I'm still working on that.
Old 22nd May 2018, 06:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Prairielad makes an excellent point. I am not familiar with mtDNA testing at 23 and Me and it is possible that your mtDNA result is inaccurate or too nonspecific to use for your analysis. Were both of your mitochondrial DNA tests done on 23 and Me? Were they done around the same time? If you look at www.phylotree.org, you will see that V is derived from the HV0a subclade of HV. So on second thought, suspected uncle could be an uncle on your maternal side! Is there any possibility that suspected uncle could actually be a maternal half-sibling to you?!

Sounds like someone is keeping a secret. Sometimes adoptees are never told that they are adopted although this would have been unusual by the 1970s.

If your grandmother is open about the fact that she placed a child for adoption, hopefully she is willing to test. She may actually be happy to know that her biological child is alive and well.

Best wishes on your journey.