Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > Scandinavian Y-DNA forum

Scandinavian Y-DNA forum Scandinavian Y-DNA project forum

Old 6th May 2013, 09:32 AM
Q-M242 Project Administrator

Introductory Tread

Hi All,

This is the introduction thread for the Scandinavian Y-DNA forum. Please take a moment to say hi and tell us a little bit about your genealogy background and why you DNA tested.

Best,
Rebekah - Project Admin
Old 15th December 2013, 10:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hi! My name is Peter, my Y-DNA is scandinavian: danish. I tested for finding and getting in contact with distant relatives. I have done my genealogy for two years and my straight paternal line is the second one line I know least about. I live in Sweden. I ordered my test a week ago, waiting for them to show up!

Cheers! / Peter
Old 15th December 2013, 02:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLarsen View Post
I have done my genealogy for two years and my straight paternal line is the second one line I know least about.
Cheers! / Peter
Hi Peter,

I checked out your website - I like it! What software did you use to make the webpages that have the trees/charts? I think I would like to do something similar.

Also, I looked at your ancestry.com tree (though the link you provide goes to your grandmother I believe), and didn't find the Norwegians. Being on my paternal side all (southern) Norwegian I was wondering where your 25% Norwegian might be.

Edit: I think I found them - I was looking at your grandfather's tree. I have many ancestors from Rogaland also, though not on the Y line, which comes from Vest Agder.

My Y haplogroup (current nomen I2a2a - old nomen I2b1) fits right in with the Danes and Swedes as well as the rest of the North Sea/Baltic Sea crowd.

Last edited by S9 H9; 15th December 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 15th December 2013, 03:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S9 H9 View Post
Hi Peter,

I checked out your website - I like it! What software did you use to make the webpages that have the trees/charts? I think I would like to do something similar.

I have many ancestors from Rogaland also, though not on the Y line, which comes from Vest Agder.

My Y haplogroup (current nomen I2a2a - old nomen I2b1) fits right in with the Danes and Swedes as well as the rest of the North Sea/Baltic Sea crowd.
Hello!
Thanks! The software used is: webtrees, its a free php-package. The fan-charts is a builtin feature, but I have modded the php-code myself (more generations shown in the same picture).

If you have many ancestors from Rogaland we might match as soon as my FF-test is done! I have lots of ancestors from that area, around the westcoast, Alvaldsnes. It would be strange if we didn't share any!

This DNA-genealogy is new to, still trying to get a grip on all variables. Hopefully my haplogroup will let me focus on one subarea in the science sinse I tend to go to the bottom of things, and the DNA-genealogy area is way to big to learn everything about!

If you find any common ancestors with, please let me know and we can share information
Old 16th December 2013, 07:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Bob Hanson here. y-DNA [I-L38 or I2b2 or I2a2b] from Odense area of Denmark. With new Danish records on line I have been able to go back to patronymics in early 1800s. Patronymic contributors were Jens, Lars, Rasmus, Peder, Anders, Hans, and a Thage/Thyge... Probably same as yours... I-L38 are known for the Lichtenstein Cave folks.

My strongest DNA matches are Van Hooser and Van Hoosen traceable back to Husum Germany in the 1600s; it was part of Denmark back then and but 200 km or so from Odense.

Kudos on your site. My site has a different [lack of...] focus. www.go2genepool.com

Bob H
Old 1st February 2014, 07:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

R1a - L448

Hello,

Up until about 4 months ago I think I was 100% Irish decent on both sides of my family since I have a paper trail back 6 generations to Ireland, but no country or townland location.

With the advancement in DNA testing I thought it worth while to see if I could work from the opposite end of the time line "Adam" and work forward to 1800AD.

To my surprise I found out that I am L448 so I guess there was a Norwegian in the wood pile sometime back.

My test kit #309012 and I am awaiting for my test results back from an upgrade from 37 to 67 markers.

I've also tested with Nat Geno 2.0 and found a uncommon SNP marker F1529+

Regards,

Tom
Old 7th April 2014, 01:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Greetings

My name is Douglas and I found out I have Scandanavian dna, after testing Z372+. I later tested L257-, so I am hoping for more snps downstream of Z372+ to be discovered. My Z18+L257- Project director is keeping his eyes open for these newly discovered snps. I am also an adoptee.

I have verified 2nd-4th cousins, and we share common ancestors in the Liberty/Bryan/Chatham counties, Georgia late 1700s/early 1800s and ancestors in England mid to late 1600s, so I guess at some point in history my paternal ancestor was in Scandanavia.

This is interesting, always liked history.

Best Regards, Douglas W. Fisher

Paternal: U106+Z18+Z14+Z372+
Maternal: V according to FTDNA pending FMS results. V19 according to Geno 2 test. I have (2) people who I match perfectly, all the same mutations and they are V19a. FMS results will place me either in V19a or elsewhere.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy webtrees

I downloaded the webtrees program i believe it was version 1.6.2 I don,t see a exe file or folder.. can anyone tell me what i have to do to se it up on my computer.. thanks, gary
Old 14th January 2015, 05:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

it's a server application

http://wiki.webtrees.net/en/Installation
Old 15th January 2015, 05:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

My name is Connie and my background is "muttish": English, Scottish, German, French Canadian, Native American, Danish and Norwegian.

I originally got into DNA testing through my male cousin to smoke out my grandfather's family information from the genetic woodpile. Having little luck there, just for fun, I tested myself for MtDNA and family finder. I have had some success with FF (found a cousin or two), and my MtDNA has an exact (H2a1f) match with a Danish woman who has written a book about her DNA testing experience -"My Beautiful Genome." She even includes some genealogical information, but I still cannot connect the dots-too far back, I suspect. Through standard genealogy, I was able to connect with a fifth or sixth cousin whose family derived from Etne, Hordaland, Norway (as did mine), she has done an extensive amount of research, but we do not match on FF - too distant a connection.

Last edited by rmm0484; 15th January 2015 at 05:09 AM.