• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loobster
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2012

Predicted Relationship vis a vis Relationship Range

Have recently been seeing some references/examples of Ancestry's Predicted Relationship and its Relationship Range -- and want folks to be aware of the fact that there is a definite difference between the Relationship between these two terms on Ancestry vs the Relationship between the two terms on FTDNA.

One example I saw for Ancestry - Predicted Relationship was 2nd Cousin - Relationship Range was 2nd-4th Cousin.

BUT - on FTDNA when they say Relationship Range is 2nd-4th Cousin, the Predicted Relationship (=Suggested Relationship, =most likely relationship) is 3rd Cousin.

For more explanation of the relationship between the terms on FTDNA, see: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-finder-match/

I now have a better understanding of why I got very excited "FTDNA says we are 2nd Cousin" e-mail when FTDNA said Relationship Range was 2-4, ie was NOT saying we were 2nd Cousin, was just saying it was suggested we were 3rd Cousins.
  • mattn
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by loobster View Post
    Have recently been seeing some references/examples of Ancestry's Predicted Relationship and its Relationship Range -- and want folks to be aware of the fact that there is a definite difference between the Relationship between these two terms on Ancestry vs the Relationship between the two terms on FTDNA.

One example I saw for Ancestry - Predicted Relationship was 2nd Cousin - Relationship Range was 2nd-4th Cousin.

BUT - on FTDNA when they say Relationship Range is 2nd-4th Cousin, the Predicted Relationship (=Suggested Relationship, =most likely relationship) is 3rd Cousin.

For more explanation of the relationship between the terms on FTDNA, see: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-finder-match/

I now have a better understanding of why I got very excited "FTDNA says we are 2nd Cousin" e-mail when FTDNA said Relationship Range was 2-4, ie was NOT saying we were 2nd Cousin, was just saying it was suggested we were 3rd Cousins.
    FTDNA gives out way too many 2nd to 4th cousin labels, I wish they would change it to 2nd to 3rd. Ancestry seems more in line. Even if FTDNA is calling a 2 - 4 cousin a 3rd their predictions are still way off for most. I don't really know what FTDNA uses in their algorithm to get so generous with the 2 - 4 cousin label but when you look at these matches in the chromosome browser you can see they definitely are not 3rd cousins.

Comment

Working...
    X