Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 14th May 2018, 03:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Japanese phone book

Time for another update...

Every time I try to get anywhere with translators it pretty much fails right away.

So the other day I was searching something on Google and was on page 3 of the results and clicked on something. It brought up a page in mostly Japanese, but had a little English that said Net Phone Book. Well it turned out to be a jackpot!
I had asked many Japanese cousins and read so many posts that there are no phone books in Japan. Well I found one.
I don't think I can post links on here so PM me if you need it.
I used Google web translate, but Chrome will translate using a right click and translate. So its for land lines not cell phones. For free you can view 2000, 2007 and 2012 listings. For 500yen a month you can get 2016 and way back to 1993. I don't how well it will work for everyone. Some people likely just switch over to cell phone, but less likely the farther back in time you go.
I was able to see the address and phone number of the biol-family. I was able to see who the owner of a fish store that I think is related. I seen other people that are likely cousins.
I wish I could have found this a long time ago!

I found someone who is going to attempt contact with the family in the next couple of days. Hopefully they haven't moved.
Old 27th May 2018, 07:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for the update Alan.
That phone book is terrific!
Old 27th May 2018, 12:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Phone Book Subscription

So for 500 Yen, about $5. you can get a 30 day subscription to this phone book. That opens up dates back to 1993 and the most current date of 2016. Since I am also looking for the grandfather I want to see 1993.

I tried to pay for a subscriptions and failed. I tried my debit card and it wouldn't go through. It gave me an error that I wasn't able to translate because it was in its own window that didn't allow copy and paste.

Next I tried the Amazon gift card and I found out I need to have a Japanese Amazon account, the US one doesn't work on the Japanese site.

Next I talked to my son about paying with Bit Coin and he was sure how to pay or what was needed to pay by Bit Coin.

So now I have resorted to asking cousins and anyone I know in Japan for a favor to get a 30 day subscription.

Update on the lady who was going to make a call for us... looks like she changed her mind. Oh well.
Old 1st June 2018, 02:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

It appears to get a subscription to this phone book you need to probably be in Japan. I tried and a cousin tried and we got nowhere with the subscription.

One friend tried to call the home and no one answered, likely screening the calls.

So I switched plans. We sent a telegram through Itelegram yesterday to the mother home. It was pricey at $51 for a short message with contact information. Its one to two day delivery. They try to hand deliver if they can, so we are hoping it gets some attention.

Alan
Old 11th June 2018, 06:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

So after a couple emails back and forth to Itelegram here is what the final word is... The head of house hold refused to accept the message. This was not a failed delivery.

Now comes the hard part, getting them to communicate!!