Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 2nd May 2018, 02:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspeters41 View Post
Zero -- Been at it since 2009. 4717 calculated matches. I'm at a disadvantage though. I have not been able to get a single family member to participate. I understand that there is a level of success when you have a more active gene pool. I try, but so far nada, nil, nothing.
Here's a little trick: Hopefully, you have a family tree loaded on FTDNA. When you find matches with family trees posted, go back a few generations to see if you can find matches to your tree. This has been very successful when I match my BIL's lines. I have also found several maternal cousins this way....
Old 3rd May 2018, 01:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

I ain't saying (at Ancestry).
Old 5th May 2018, 12:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

So far with just about 4,700 matches here at FTDNA and 69,500 at Ancestry, I have found any number of 2nd cousins that I didn't know about, but they weren't really surprises as in my being shocked by their existence. It's just in my family we have never kept track of the descendants of a great grandparents. And in general my parents didn't really talk much about their ancestors, nor did my grandparents. Although my father used to joke that I was probably related to half of the population of WV of those who had been born, bred, and buttered in the state. And from my matches my father's joke seems to be quite true.
Old 14th May 2018, 02:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Here's a little trick: Hopefully, you have a family tree loaded on FTDNA. When you find matches with family trees posted, go back a few generations to see if you can find matches to your tree. This has been very successful when I match my BIL's lines. I have also found several maternal cousins this way....
Unfortunately, the way you get cousins (or other relatives) to test is by buying the kits. When you do though you advise them you want access to the results by having the kit number and password they have made up. I am the administrator of almost all the kits and tests I have purchased.

A couple of the cousins have a big interest in genealogy so I have turned the administration over to them because that's what they wanted but they have allowed me the password in order to do research.
Old 14th May 2018, 02:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspeters41 View Post
Zero -- Been at it since 2009. 4717 calculated matches. I'm at a disadvantage though. I have not been able to get a single family member to participate. I understand that there is a level of success when you have a more active gene pool. I try, but so far nada, nil, nothing.
Unfortunately, the way you get cousins (or other relatives) to test is by buying the kits. When you do though you advise them you want access to the results by having the kit number and password they have made up. I am the administrator of almost all the kits and tests I have purchased.

A couple of the cousins have a big interest in genealogy so I have turned the administration over to them because that's what they wanted but they have allowed me the password in order to do research.
Old 19th May 2018, 09:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

My surname hasn't shown up

I am a Scheer, or so I thought. My mom says my father looked just like his dad, however, I don't think she could have met him.I have no pictures of my "paternal grandfather".

So am I not a Scheer, was there a Smith, Miller or Williams in the wood pile? I'm thinking my great grandfather was illegitimate.

I have one "match" Identifying my paternal grandmother.

I am very new at this and would appreciate any help, where do I go from here.

My father is deceased,I have no brothers. I have male cousins that might take a test and have nephews.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Connie Scheer
Old 7th June 2018, 07:12 AM
R-BY39877

After more than a year of testing and research I found that my father, born in 1902, had a half brother. This would never have been discovered without autosomal DNA testing. Still waiting for Y-DNA results.
Old 13th June 2018, 05:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm still confused by it, but my closest DNA match in the entire FTDNA database -- such a strong match that first cousin is inside the range of possibilities, with more than twice as many shared cM's as the second cousin I already knew I had who came up as my second closest match -- is a person I have absolutely no context for how we could possibly be that closely related, because I know of no family branch (not even a distant one) with his surname.

He's got no tree posted on here, and didn't respond when I sent him an e-mail either, so I may never actually know what's going on. But as of right now, he's still my biggest surprise -- other than the cousin I was already Facebook friends with anyway, I have yet to find even one new person, either here or on MyHeritage after I reuploaded my data there, for whom I've been able to nail down the exact nature of the relationship by comparing any of the family tree data that either of us had already published.

Last edited by craigbear; 13th June 2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbear View Post
I'm still confused by it, but my closest DNA match in the entire FTDNA database -- such a strong match that first cousin is inside the range of possibilities, with more than twice as many shared cM's as the second cousin I already knew I had who came up as my second closest match -- is a person I have absolutely no context for how we could possibly be that closely related, because I know of no family branch (not even a distant one) with his surname.

Have you checked your matches in common with him? Sometimes you can figure out something about someone that way even if that person is not giving up any information.

Jack
Old 13th June 2018, 06:35 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

If his name isn't a very common one, you may be able to locate him in an online directory, perhaps with a few relatives listed. That might lead you to searching for online obits or other records of his family and you may be able to build a tree for him.

This process doesn't work very often, but sometimes it does. It might work more often if you subscribe to one of the databases that find info on people, but I have no idea which places are good or safe, etc.