Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Scientific Papers

Scientific Papers For talk of scientific papers on population genetics, archaeology, and anthropology related to DNA and personal ancestry testing.

Old 28th March 2018, 08:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
I am fresh after arguments exchanged in the Recreation Room

It was not a discussion, so no consensus, but the minimum is three.

Concept of regional variations does not carry the bias of previous centuries. As long as we agree that there are differences, we can use any words.

Sub-Saharan Africa is large, with a huge variety of DNA, and thousands of years of localized endogamy due to slow migration patterns. There must be very many regions that significantly differ from each other after thousands of years being on the other side of some body of water, jungle or a mountain range.

DNA testing has revealed that if populations differ in terms of their genetics, it might imply that different medical treatments have greater chances of success, and might imply necessity of different interpretation of medical tests (standard blood etc.). Rates of various diseases might be substantially different etc.

Modern medicine only now fully understands that XX and XY patients might need different treatments (although I am not sure whether everybody gets it). Beyond the defining differences, most people would probably only know that males on average have thicker skin...

If there is a digital divide now, there might be soon a global divide in availability of medical treatments. Some populations are so small, that there is no possibility to fully test on them everything the modern medicine has to offer.

Mr. W.

P.S.
My wife and me had fellow international students from different places in Africa. We never had a problem recognizing whether someone was from Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, or South Africa (real students, real countries, really small unscientific sample). Then I understand that an African Pygmy would look yet different.
I think we agree. I support medicine based on genetic differences. I am opposed to medicine based on the outmoded concept of race. Big Pharma looks at race rather than region.

I look forward to Reich's book on this topic.

Last edited by josh w.; 28th March 2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
I think we agree. I support medicine based on genetic differences. I am opposed to medicine based on the outmoded concept of race. Big Pharma looks at race rather than region.

I look forward to Reich's book on this topic.

Reich's book was positively reviewed by Jared Diamond in today's NY Times
Old 22nd April 2018, 03:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Reich's book was positively reviewed by Jared Diamond in today's NY Times
What do they say about it?
Old 22nd April 2018, 04:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

I know that probably I should not...

Jared Diamond books are a good read, but if he has good knowledge of evolution and genetics that does not show in his books, yet.

Mr. W.
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewd76 View Post
What do they say about it?
That he shares Reichs accounts of regional phylogenetic development. Diamond noted that the most recent research challenges older views of that history. The current picture is not meant to be permanent, but will be revised with future research. Diamond did not comment on the race issue, except to note that Reich's views were controversial. Yes, Diamond is not a biologist,

Last edited by josh w.; 22nd April 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
That he shares Reichs accounts of regional phylogenetic development. Diamond noted that the most recent research challenges older views of that history. The current picture is not meant to be permanent, but will be revised with future research. Diamond did not comment on the race issue, except to note that Reich's views were controversial. Yes, Diamond is not a biologist,
The book is now on the NY Times bestseller list.
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

I wouldn't trust anything this guy Reich says. He obviously has an agenda.