Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 21st May 2018, 03:31 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlperson1 View Post
Draconian nazi crap.
Au contraire!

German Nazi laws and practices were inherently incompatible with any privacy.


Mr. W.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 21st May 2018, 03:43 PM
girlperson1 girlperson1 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Au contraire!

German Nazi laws and practices were inherently incompatible with any privacy.


Mr. W.
If you are a european, can you opt out of these so-called privacy laws? If yes, is it easy and if so, how is it done?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21st May 2018, 04:01 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlperson1 View Post
If you are a European, can you opt out of these so-called privacy laws? If yes, is it easy and if so, how is it done?
As a European you do not have to opt out, since the law is not (in general) applicable to individuals.

It is applicable to Facebook, etc. They are brought to order, not the individuals.


Mr. W.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 21st May 2018, 04:12 PM
girlperson1 girlperson1 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
As a European you do not have to opt out, since the law is not (in general) applicable to individuals.

It is applicable to Facebook, etc. They are brought to order, not the individuals.


Mr. W.
What I'm asking is if a european can allow their data, such as DNA, to be posted on a site, such as mitosearch by signing a release.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 21st May 2018, 04:16 PM
girlperson1 girlperson1 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
Angry

What about all the DNA posted at the National Institute of Health? There are thousands of full DNA scans on file that belong to europeans and other people from around the world. Are you telling me that the EU is now going to interfere with science albeit most of the samples have no personal identifiers attached to them.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 21st May 2018, 06:26 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlperson1 View Post
What I'm asking is if a european can allow their data, such as DNA, to be posted on a site, such as mitosearch by signing a release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlperson1 View Post
What about all the DNA posted at the National Institute of Health? There are thousands of full DNA scans on file that belong to europeans and other people from around the world. Are you telling me that the EU is now going to interfere with science albeit most of the samples have no personal identifiers attached to them.
GDPR specifically makes exemptions for scientific research.

As you read a couple of posts earlier, to the owners of a scientific genetic database in Czechia, it is a business as usual.


Mr. W.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
jbarry6899
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ftdna Out Of Business? msc_44 Grumbles & Gripes 4 3rd July 2017 03:04 AM
Usefulness of YSearch and MitoSearch? Future of STR testing? peterebay Group Administrators - Advanced Chat 16 24th August 2015 10:29 AM
myOrigins percentages are losing FTDNA business!! phje myOrigins Basics 4 10th February 2015 12:35 AM
Linking "My ftDNA" to ysearch and mitosearch? rod Announcements and New Features 0 20th February 2006 08:25 PM
Lookup Service for Geographic Coordinates for Ysearch and Mitosearch peterebay DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 0 4th October 2004 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.