Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 16th May 2018, 07:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

AncestryDNA ethnicity

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this, so I apologize if this is something simple. I have tested on FTDNA and thought I'd test on ancestry too to see the differences and utilize the different databases.

It says 40% ireland/scotland/Wales, but when broken down, it gives me the northern England and Midlands region. The England percentage is 7% and gives me the same region but actually lists it as a subregion. (attached screenshots for clarity)

Does this mean that I mainly have Celtic ancestry, but too far away to vague to give me a clear indication as to the regions involved, so chose an overlapping region to compensate? Or am I getting this wrong? Because surely, if that was not the case, my Great Britain percentage should be the highest as the main host of that particular sub-region?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADNA1.jpg (162.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ADNA2.jpg (206.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th May 2018, 05:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMW View Post
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
It means that you should not be overly concerned about DNA ethnicity models.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

DNA Ethnicity Estimates

DNA ethnicity estimates have been a hugely successful marketing tool for the various testing companies, especially AncestryDNA. Unfortunately,they are not reliable below the continental level. For example, they cannot accurately discriminate among the various northern European populations. They may never be up to that task, since there has been so much recent intermixing of those populations.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

To be a bit more specific, see if you can open the attached webinar and skip down to "Ethnicity Results".
https://familytreewebinars.com/downl...webinar_id=721
Old 16th May 2018, 07:11 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
To be a bit more specific, see if you can open the attached webinar and skip down to "Ethnicity Results".
https://familytreewebinars.com/downl...webinar_id=721
I could be wrong, but I think you need to be signed in (IOW, be subscribed) to select/skip to any part of the "playlist" of Legacy's webinars. I'm sure this whole webinar would be worth viewing! Even if you're not able to select a portion, you can still view this particular webinar until May 23. Blaine Bettinger gives some very good presentations, always interesting and informative.

Another good webinar by Blaine that has a portion of the beginning available to view for non-subscribers (for a taste) is "Formulating a DNA Testing Plan," which I have viewed and enjoyed. There are many webinars available to view for free at Legacy Family Tree, and new webinars that aren't free are usually available to view for free for a period of time after the initial broadcast.

Last edited by KATM; 16th May 2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added text
Old 16th May 2018, 09:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

@MJMW

It is very important to remember that one's DNA does not reflect all the ancestors.

We do not evenly inherit autosomal DNA from our ancestors. That is the reason some of our ancestry might not be reflected at all in our autosomal DNA. And complementary, some of our ancestry might be grossly over-represented.

You can see unevenness of autosomal DNA inheritance with the Family Finder matches (and it would be exactly the same with any other similar product). Some FF matches listed as the 2nd-4th cousin are beyond being the 4th cousins, and some known 4th cousins do not appear as matches.

Autosomal DNA statistics
https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics
(some of the blogs referenced there have detailed explanations)

Mr. W.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

I will use my Families FTDNA myOrigins results of the variations in ethnicity reports.
Paternal Grandfather - Half Scottish, Half Irish
Paternal Grandmother - Born in Romania with German paternal Grandfather
Maternal Grandfather - Half Norwegian, Half Swedish
Maternal Grandmother - English

Have not tested with Ancestry so not sure how they would break it down, but British Isles has both Scandinavian and western Europe influence.
Eastern Europe will also have western Europe influence.

The Gedmatch website has admixture calculators that use various different reference groups which can also be looked at. Their Oracle4's give you best fits based on a single population up to 4 populations.

Link to Attachment on onedrive
Code:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al27wnXopRKxi0u8DjjEKnpou0Ca
Attached Images
File Type: png 3gen.png (83.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by prairielad; 16th May 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up Thank you prairielad !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
I will use my Families FTDNA myOrigins results of the variations in ethnicity reports.
Paternal Grandfather - Half Scottish, Half Irish
Paternal Grandmother - Born in Romania with German paternal Grandfather
Maternal Grandfather - Half Norwegian, Half Swedish
Maternal Grandmother - English

Have not tested with Ancestry so not sure how they would break it down, but British Isles has both Scandinavian and western Europe influence.
Eastern Europe will also have western Europe influence.

The Gedmatch website has admixture calculators that use various different reference groups which can also be looked at. Their Oracle4's give you best fits based on a single population up to 4 populations.

Link to Attachment on onedrive
Code:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al27wnXopRKxi0u8DjjEKnpou0Ca
A masterpiece!

Mr. W.