Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 14th May 2018, 07:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

@keigh, Matching works both ways. When you upload your raw DNA from another lab to FTDNA it increases the chance that someone who tested with FTDNA will contact you. Same for uploading to GEDmatch. The broader you cast your net, the more you will catch. Unfortunately, Ancestry is a walled garden and if you want to match their database, you have to test with them. At lot of people who test with Ancestry (e.g. my wife's family) just want to know if they're supposed to buy lederhosen or a kilt. People who are serious about it often test with other labs or multiple labs.

Last edited by DRNewcomb; 14th May 2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 14th May 2018, 08:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Those transferring from Ancestry now see all of their matches in the FTDNA database for free. It is possible that those like you who only saw the top 20 now see all of their matches.

Not all FTDNA customers have also tested at Ancestry so those not transferring from Ancestry could be missing good matches.

Of the 70,000 matches you have at Ancestry, how many are close enough to matter?
Old 14th May 2018, 06:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Actually, on Ancestry, I have had a number of 4th and farther out cousins that I've been able to connect with do to seeing just a familiar name on their tree. The names have been familiar to my seeing them on census records that had my family living in the area. It's made me research a bit down lines or up lines on their tree and discover something like their something great grandmother, Rachel MNU was my something great grandaunt Rachel Hutchinson.

There are a number of people who don't respond to my inquiries about possible connections, but I've had that here at FTDNA too. And as to not having trees, I'd say half or more of my matches don't have trees here at FTDNA. I frankly don't bother adding matches to the tree here, if I find one, I'll go over to my tree at Ancestry and add it there. The Ancestry tree is much easier to develop.