Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Basics

X-DNA Basics This forum is for newbie topics about the X-Chromosome. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 5th January 2014, 02:30 PM

Non X related to Xmatch if in common and same Chromosome?

Question on X chromosome - If I have an X match that has in common with matches that also overlap on the same chromosome but do not X match can I assume that they are maternal matches?? (The original tester was male)
Old 6th January 2014, 12:49 AM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty92127 View Post
Question on X chromosome - If I have an X match that has in common with matches that also overlap on the same chromosome but do not X match can I assume that they are maternal matches?? (The original tester was male)
Can you clarify - are you a female and the cousin you match on the X is a male? Are you asking about your own maternal side or this male cousin's maternal side, or both? How large is the X chromosome segment match size? Do each of the other cousins have a significantly large (e.g. 7 cM) overlapping chromosome browser match with each other on the same autosome when they look at their own browser page?
Old 6th January 2014, 02:09 PM

My father tested FF. I am referring to his maternal side. The two X matches are female with about 4cm overlapping on the X chromosome as well as over 10Cms on chromosome 12. The other cousin that doesn't show as an X match but overlaps over 10Cm on chromosome 12 with the two Xmatches. Am I able to assume that the non X match is also a maternal match?
Old 6th January 2014, 02:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Under your father's family finder tab, you can find an option called matrix. If the 2 female matches also match each other there, your theory might be correct.
Old 6th January 2014, 02:40 PM

They do match on the matrix as well
Old 6th January 2014, 10:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Men can have distant cousin matches on their father's side, who also connect to their mother's side. It really depends on how everyone connected many years prior to the largest block match. That's just an FYI. It doesn't mean that is the case here. It will depend on how all the segments compare and line up.

Matt.