• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasAndPas
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2013

My mother's mtDNA test

I administer my brother's account and had our mother's mtDNA test put on his account. Can I move it to a separate account under her name so that the rest of the siblings can use. it?
  • prairielad
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2011

You can not have two people under one account.

How do you mean you have your mothers mtDNA on his account?

Did both submit a sample?

Comment

• MasAndPas
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2013

mtDNA

Well first I submitted a yDNA test in my brother's name then at a later time I ordered a mtDNA test for our mother under his name/account. Therefore it just shows up as his mtDNA and would like it to be separate under her name.

Comment

• prairielad
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2011

If you ordered mtDNA under his account, they would have used his DNA for the test and mtDNA results would be his, they would run test on sample he original submitted

which would be the same as running test on mother, as mothers pass on their mtDNA to all their children

Unless for some reason the sent out a new test kit which you had your mother do.

If both your mother and brother submitted a sample to FTDNA under one account you will have to contact FTDNA directly to get accounts sorted out, and DNA samples linked to correct accounts.

Comment

• Arturo Shaw
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2017

Bring someone else's mtDNA data to my account

Hi,

I have two accounts, one on my name and another in one of my sister's name (I paid for both and both have my data: email, address, etc and she is not interested and not using it, but it is on her name and it is her DNA). My sister's account only has the mtDNA test (to look at our mother's line) while mine has everything else (FamilyFinder, 111 Y line, etc). I would like to know if there is any way to bring the mtDNA results from my sister's account to mine so I can have everything tohether.

Regards

Arturo

Comment

• KATM
            mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Arturo Shaw View Post
            Hi,

I have two accounts, one on my name and another in one of my sister's name (I paid for both and both have my data: email, address, etc and she is not interested and not using it, but it is on her name and it is her DNA). My sister's account only has the mtDNA test (to look at our mother's line) while mine has everything else (FamilyFinder, 111 Y line, etc). I would like to know if there is any way to bring the mtDNA results from my sister's account to mine so I can have everything tohether.

Regards

Arturo
            There is not a way to do what you ask. Each person must take a particular DNA test for it to be automatically shown in their profile.

One workaround, since your mtDNA and your sister's is the same, is to add the mtDNA haplogroup for your sister into the "About Me" area of your Personal Profile. You can do this by hovering your mouse over your name & account number at the top right of your myDashboard page, after you log in.

Otherwise, you would need to do the same test. I've used the above approach for several kits that I administer; I also explain that the haplogroup is known from an appropriate relative's test. I don't think you need to be concerned, as you have your sister to check for mtDNA matches, and in my experience people don't usually check the mtDNA for their Family Finder matches. Having it in your Personal Profile should be enough.

Comment

• Arturo Shaw
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jun 2017

OK, I'll do that, thank you

Arturo

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                R-BY55907
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by MasAndPas View Post
                Well first I submitted a yDNA test in my brother's name then at a later time I ordered a mtDNA test for our mother under his name/account. Therefore it just shows up as his mtDNA and would like it to be separate under her name.
                Assuming you ordered a Y-DNA kit for your brother and another kit for your mother's mtDNA you would have two different kit numbers with two different passwords. This would be two different accounts even if both accounts have his name on them.

Comment

Working...
                X