Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > The Genographic Project

The Genographic Project Do you have results from Genographic? Are you considering testing with them? This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 23rd February 2017, 10:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Transferring Geno 1.0 results to FTDNA

This is my first post here at Family Tree DNA Forums. The FTDNA Forum appears to be a wonderful site with its wide membership teaming with excitement, knowledge and resourcefulness.

I have been trying (without success) to transfer Geno1.0 results from the Genographic web site to FTDNA. When I sign into my Genographic account, I see a window called "Family Tree DNA Analysis - Explore more about your DNA" including the link "transfer your results". When I click on that link, I get a pop-up windows inviting me to click on "Continue to FTDNA". After that however, nothing seems to be happening.

To the best of my knowledge, the Geno 1.0 analysis was conducted for the Genographic project by FTDNA in Houston, Texas. If that is the case, such a transfer should be possible and relatively straight forward.

I was wondering if any FTDNA Forum members might have experienced a similar issue, and how they might have circumvented it. Any pointers on how to facilitate the transfer of Geno1.0 results to FTDNA would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you for your anticipated support, Fernand.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciel007 View Post
This is my first post here at Family Tree DNA Forums. The FTDNA Forum appears to be a wonderful site with its wide membership teaming with excitement, knowledge and resourcefulness.

I have been trying (without success) to transfer Geno1.0 results from the Genographic web site to FTDNA. When I sign into my Genographic account, I see a window called "Family Tree DNA Analysis - Explore more about your DNA" including the link "transfer your results". When I click on that link, I get a pop-up windows inviting me to click on "Continue to FTDNA". After that however, nothing seems to be happening.

To the best of my knowledge, the Geno 1.0 analysis was conducted for the Genographic project by FTDNA in Houston, Texas. If that is the case, such a transfer should be possible and relatively straight forward.

I was wondering if any FTDNA Forum members might have experienced a similar issue, and how they might have circumvented it. Any pointers on how to facilitate the transfer of Geno1.0 results to FTDNA would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you for your anticipated support, Fernand.
I don't think it is possible. The 1.0 test was pretty basic by today's standards and don't think it tested the sorts of the things that would make it compatible with the modern tests and systems.
Old 24th February 2017, 06:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Call FTDNA and ask them. Phone: (713) 868-1438.

Call between 9 AM - 4 PM Houston, Texas time Monday - Thursday & 9 AM - 12 noon on Friday.
Old 24th February 2017, 04:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
The 1.0 test was pretty basic by today's standards and don't think it tested the sorts of the things that would make it compatible with the modern tests and systems.
Geno 1.0 tested either Y-DNA12 or mtDNA-HVR1. For many years, one could transfer both results and DNA samples from Geno 1.0 to FTDNA.

However, I am afraid that Geno may have eventually destroyed any remaining 1.0 samples that were not transferred. The question is: Will FTDNA still accept a transfer of results without the associated DNA samples? I don't know.
Old 24th February 2017, 04:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Try from FTDNA side

Have you tried "pulling" the Geno results into an FTDNA account from FTDNA's side?

https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...r.aspx#/verify
Old 25th February 2017, 01:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Eureka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
I don't think it is possible. The 1.0 test was pretty basic by today's standards and don't think it tested the sorts of the things that would make it compatible with the modern tests and systems.
As it turns out, the transfer function at Genoraphic does indeed work.
With a bit of determination (repeated attempts) and patience (48 hours) I was eventually able to transfer my Geno results to FTDNA.
A big THANK YOU to all of you who took time to offer much appreciated support. Fernand
Old 25th February 2017, 02:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

??? From Geno 1.0 to Geno 2.0+ ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
Geno 1.0 tested either Y-DNA12 or mtDNA-HVR1. For many years, one could transfer both results and DNA samples from Geno 1.0 to FTDNA.

However, I am afraid that Geno may have eventually destroyed any remaining 1.0 samples that were not transferred. The question is: Will FTDNA still accept a transfer of results without the associated DNA samples? I don't know.
I begin with a small confession - Although I ordered two Geno 1.0 kits a few years ago, I did not actually use and return the kits to Genographic for analysis until 2016. Further, it was not until 2017 that I consulted my Y-DNA and mtDNA results on the Genographic web site.

Following the successful transfer of my Geno results from Genographic to FTDNA, the FTDNA site indicates that my Y-DNA and mtDNA results originate from a Geno 2.0+ kits (not from a Geno 1.0 kits that I originally obtained from Genographic).

The above observation is somewhat puzzling. Might someone be in a position to shed a bit of light on the above question?
Fernand
Old 26th February 2017, 08:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up

Quote:
I begin with a small confession - Although I ordered two Geno 1.0 kits a few years ago, I did not actually use and return the kits to Genographic for analysis until 2016. Further, it was not until 2017 that I consulted my Y-DNA and mtDNA results on the Genographic web site.

Following the successful transfer of my Geno results from Genographic to FTDNA, the FTDNA site indicates that my Y-DNA and mtDNA results originate from a Geno 2.0+ kits (not from a Geno 1.0 kits that I originally obtained from Genographic).
That's great. If I were you I thought the kit maybe expired, but it turn out to be OK. Then you get Geno 2.0 NG with the price of Geno 1.0
Old 27th February 2017, 06:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
The above observation is somewhat puzzling.
My comment was based on the assumption that you filled and returned your Geno kit many years ago.

I did not know that you had only recently filled and returned your kit--effectively getting Geno 2+ for the Geno 1.0 price.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
... My comment was based on the assumption that you filled and returned your Geno kit many years ago ...
lgmayka, thank you for your reply.