Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 12th September 2016, 10:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry VS FTDNA (specifically mtDNA)

Has anyone done both? How did your results compare?? Just curious
Old 12th September 2016, 12:37 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEJI View Post
Ancestry does not do mtDNA or Y-DNA testing. Their only DNA test is an autosomal test, equivalent to Family Finder. My mother has done both. She gets many many more matches at Ancestry, but they don't have any good tools for analyzing the results. No chromosome browser, no matrix tool. They have "shared matches", but only for close matches.
Old 12th September 2016, 12:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm just wondering how much more informative my mtDNA + FF will be compared to Ancestry!?
Old 12th September 2016, 01:53 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
I'm just wondering how much more informative my mtDNA + FF will be compared to Ancestry!?
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I can give you a real life example to show what AncestryDNA, FTDNA and 23andMe give when comparing my results with my known 3rd cousin, once removed. We've both tested at all three companies.

FTDNA - According to their analysis, we share a total of 62 cM, with a largest segment of 20 cM. Looking at the specifics in the chromosome browser, the total number of segments is 12, but only 3 of them are over 5.0 cM.

AncestryDNA - They estimate that we're 4th-6th cousins and say that we share 42 cM over 3 segments.

23andMe - They say we share 43 cM over 3 segments.

Note that FTDNA includes segments under 5.0 cM which the other two companies don't count. Many genetic genealogists regard sub-5.0 cM as unreliable and don't work with them in their segment spreadsheets. FTDNA and 23and allow you to change the relationship from the estimated one to the actual relationship as established by the paper trail; AncestryDNA doesn't allow you to do this. And, as the previous poster noted, AncestryDNA doesn't have a chromosome browser (FTDNA and 23andMe do) and you'll get many more matches at AncestryDNA than FTDNA, due to the much larger size of their database and FTDNA's algorithm not counting matches who share a 7.0-8.9 cM segment but don't share a total of 20.0 cM.
Old 12th September 2016, 03:11 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Another example:

My mother has one match at FTDNA descended from her great-great-grandparents, Jonathan Calvin and Mary Griggs. He's a 5th to remote cousin. He is also at Ancestry, also distant.

But she has 5 other matches descended from this couple at Ancestry and 3 of them are in her top 50 matches. One is no. 4 on her list.

If I had nothing but FTDNA to go by, I might be suspecting that Jonathan Calvin and Mary Griggs were not really my ancestors. I think that, if you can afford to test at both companies, you should.
Old 16th September 2016, 08:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have tested both at Ancestry (autosomal only can be done) and FTDNA, both FMS mtDNA and the Family Finder (autosomal test).

My results are that with the FMS (expensive)mtDNA I have 8 matches. Six matches at 0 genetic steps and 1 each at 1 and 2 steps. All but one of the 8 matches has done the FF test, and none of them show up as matching me on both the FMS and FF tests.

The one match who showed up at 0 steps but had no FF test run, I was in contact with and there is no match in the names of his family members down the female line in connection with my mother's maternal line. My mtDNA is just interesting historical info, with no real links to more current genealogy.
Old 17th September 2016, 08:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Do you have mtDNA results from Ancestry?