Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 9th May 2018, 09:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm View Post
I'm curious if you have a genuine desire to find and possibly get to know people you are related to using FamilyTree or Ancestry.

If so, and you've made contact, how did the interactions go? Meaning, did you make a new friend, or did they tell you in some sort of passive way that they weren't interested in making new friends?

I'm interested in hearing if based upon your experience, whether it's worth it or not to reach out to relatives you discover.
Great topic. Let's try to get it back on course

It's not my number one reason for researching ancestry and family history but it has been a wonderful by-product.

In some cases I've made life long friends and in a few cases after initial contact the person has dropped off the radar.
Old 10th May 2018, 07:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
I think they struck unusually severe weather over that week. She was hoping to be able to find records of her father that are required to get Polish citizenship, but this involves getting physical records from various locations. I gather that one of the stumbling blocks was getting the required records from Belarus. However there's always a silver lining and there are worse places to spend your day than Krakow.
Some people desire to visit the land of their ancestors. That's one aspect, and they need to go there to have that longing satisfied. However, no one needs to go to most places in Eastern Europe any longer to access records that are unavailable anywhere else. There are young researchers with excellent skills there now who can communicate in perfect English and can find and record archival documents and send them to you electronically through e-mail, for a modest fee.

We now live in a world that no longer requires travel to ancestral lands to access documents. That's a good thing. It is limited in that we don't have full access to those records, and for some genealogical searches that can be less than optimal. But hiring a researcher to retrieve documentation costs much less than a trip to Europe... ;-)
Old 27th May 2018, 06:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have had very frustrating results.Most do not reply.Those that have are clueless about the work it entails.If no common surname or ancestor they just give up.One amazing distant cousin across the country,who has written books has been wonderful.We do not know a common ancestor but she has given me info on some famous people we are related to.After a few months there is nothing left to say.Blood alone cannot make a relationship.
I have first cousins estranged from each other.Most of my family knew each other as children.The elders died off.There is nothing there anymore.Distance cannot give you a real relationship that is ongoing.Do you really want one? I have over four thousand DNA matches.It holds no interest for me.It is very hard to find how you are related distantly. I have documents and stories ack to gt greats.Thats where it ends.No longer excited.The ethnicity is more interesting to me
Old 27th May 2018, 11:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Wink Meet Relatives?

I am not into genealogy to physically meet relatives, or make new friends. To me, it is an ongoing mystery story wherein I am the chief detective!! And HERO! Seriously, I want to find all I can about my ancestors. That means stories, pictures or whatever I can come up with. Generally, I would say that the majority of people I contact, even those on the genealogy sites, could care less about their ancestors past 2 generations. I use DNA to help confirm my paper trail, and occasionally to expand it if the DNA is solidly there. I just dont expect the vast majority of the extended family to care at all, and I certainly dont want some long-lost cousin knocking on my door! It is my game, and my hobby, and my story! Most people find it boring, and can't keep up with the characters involved.So I am into it for myself, the very few who are similarly interested (kept at arm's length, of course!)and people who are unwary enough to be trapped into listening! I share with anyone who asks. But as my Aunt said about me "He likes it because the dead relatives are less trouble." And that's a fact!
Old 27th May 2018, 08:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev703 View Post
I am not into genealogy to physically meet relatives, or make new friends. To me, it is an ongoing mystery story wherein I am the chief detective!! And HERO!
You lost me on the "HERO" part. Most detectives are humble, often keeping silent, as when necessary.

Your comments brought to my mind the phrase that "dead men don't talk". Obviously they can't, but records of their lives and those of most ancestors remain and can be found, by those who want to know and have the ability to find them.

In today's world some have different goals or expectations of genetic genealogy. Yours and mine are more those of traditional genealogy, apparently. Ultimately genealogy is really a search of personal discovery, on whatever level.

Say little or nothing and keep digging. When your search is ended, then you can decide what to do.
Old 27th May 2018, 11:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
Say little or nothing and keep digging. When your search is ended, then you can decide what to do.
That reminds me of when my spouse asks me if I've finished my genealogy yet and I look at him with my mouth falling open....obviously he has no idea what he's talking about
Old 28th May 2018, 07:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

I believe it also has to do with your own family dynamics.Some are blessed to have caring, involved ,large families.Others not.Both sides of mine donít want to know each other.I knew my cousins as a child.On one side was an adult cousins club.When they died no one cared. A lot of people are involved in here and now.They could care less where they came from. Without offending anyone( this has been studied and written about) Jews can be eccentric and filled with anxiety.Thats my family alright.My grandparents were immigrants as children.Their children went thru the culture barriers.I am second generation American. My generation were not given anything about us,only demands about what we could and could not do.I have infamous and well known relatives from the past.So much myth and confusion. Even their many names kept changing. The point is keeping the new found matches at a distance is good.Like someone said.Keep it cordial. Because my ethnic group were competitive,secretive and elitists,
I have no interests in the unknowns.I am not the only one who has this issue.So for those who gain a lot from it,especially adoptees,that is good.
I remember the drama,shame,secrets of the elders.My generation of the forties and fifties grew up seeing this.I am sad,in a way,but not dwelling on it.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn4ever View Post
That reminds me of when my spouse asks me if I've finished my genealogy yet and I look at him with my mouth falling open....obviously he has no idea what he's talking about
Actually, you are both right, but in different ways. Just as new generations are being produced, in that way it is unending. Also, through genetic sites you might discover branches of your family tree with distant relatives that were previously unknown to you. However, the ultimate 'brick wall' or final 'dead end' is when you search back in time until the point where no earlier records exist. That's when your search is ended.