Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 26th November 2012, 01:40 PM

What does Gene 2.0 test determine?

I have seen some posts regarding this Gene 2.0 test. I ask about this, because I don't think this test would help me, because I have already had deep clade test, and I know I am R1b-U106 and recently tested positive for Z18snp, and Z14 snp test is in progress, and if I test positive for this, then I will test for Z372 snp. I have had 111 marker testing, mtdna and family finder testing done also.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I have seen some posts regarding this Gene 2.0 test. I ask about this, because I don't
It would not be helpful to you.
It may be of value to brand new testers as it gives a deep clade or fairly deep depending on the haplogroup. It also has a rather unique population finder type test. To early to tell if it is of much use. There are only a few results back and all female ( as far as I know ). There are no STR markers tested , so no Y matches, no family finder type autosomal either .
Old 26th November 2012, 02:27 PM

Well, if you don't know your mtDNA haplogroup or your admixture it would help in these areas. Also, with some thirdparty tools who knows how it can help. And I am not sure what can be done with the X chromosome info.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks for your replies

Thanks for your replies. I am an adoptee, so this process is difficult with no paper trail. I have a good number of matches, closest one is 65/67, 36/37, etc. I have no 111 marker matches yet. I am excited with this new positive result for Z18snp under U106, especially since project admin has looked at my dna markers and identified (8) people that are potential candidates to test positive for Z18 snp and be in the same experimental cluster as me. Two of these people have the same surname and are my closest matches. Z14 snp testing is in progress.

This is a quote from Z18 snp project page, "SNPs are at the very heart of genetic genealogy on family level. SNPs define family trees, either the full tree of mankind or the particular tree of your surname family. As only a small subset of SNPs are currently known, STRs ("markers") are currently used for finding the members of a family. If you've read the previous section carefully, you know that this doesn't work. If you use only STRs for selecting matching profiles from databases, you're highly likely to find lots and lots of false positives. In general, SNPs define relationships and STRs suggest relationships." I feel that I am on the right track and will nail down my real haplogroup and define real close matches also.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylineage View Post
Thanks for your replies. I am an adoptee, so this process is difficult with no paper trail. I have a good number of matches, closest one is 65/67, 36/37, etc. I have no 111 marker matches yet. I am excited with this new positive result for Z18snp under U106, especially since project admin has looked at my dna markers and identified (8) people that are potential candidates to test positive for Z18 snp and be in the same experimental cluster as me. Two of these people have the same surname and are my closest matches. Z14 snp testing is in progress.

This is a quote from Z18 snp project page, "SNPs are at the very heart of genetic genealogy on family level. SNPs define family trees, either the full tree of mankind or the particular tree of your surname family. As only a small subset of SNPs are currently known, STRs ("markers") are currently used for finding the members of a family. If you've read the previous section carefully, you know that this doesn't work. If you use only STRs for selecting matching profiles from databases, you're highly likely to find lots and lots of false positives. In general, SNPs define relationships and STRs suggest relationships." I feel that I am on the right track and will nail down my real haplogroup and define real close matches also.
Z18 could be at least 5000 ybp.If you find a good match at 67 markers ask them to SNP test to be sure you are related.