Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 5th July 2011, 06:45 PM

How to determine a FF relationship. Compare gedcoms?

I am new to FF. What do you guys do when you notice that you have a FF match with someone? How do you determine the connection if it isn't obvious based on the surname list of the two people? Do you just browse their entire tree? I've heard of a program called GENMatcher for $20 that will compare two gedcoms. Is that the best way to do it when you're dealing with large trees (I have about 3,000 people in my tree right now and can't remember all the surnames).

I have several matches with people but am having trouble coming up with a MRCA. Thanks!
Old 5th July 2011, 06:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

www.gedmatch.com is free but you would need the other party to upload their GEDcom.

Alternatively, download their GEDcom and import it into your own family tree software. Most genealogy software will alert you when an imported file contains duplicates to people who are already in your tree.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrobin View Post
I am new to FF. What do you guys do when you notice that you have a FF match with someone? How do you determine the connection if it isn't obvious based on the surname list of the two people? Do you just browse their entire tree? I've heard of a program called GENMatcher for $20 that will compare two gedcoms. Is that the best way to do it when you're dealing with large trees (I have about 3,000 people in my tree right now and can't remember all the surnames).

I have several matches with people but am having trouble coming up with a MRCA. Thanks!
This may be the tool you are talking about. I have used it with success. It is freeware. License costs about 20 dollars. http://www.jipjip.com/Products/Gedsmart . It works very well.