Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 3rd June 2017, 10:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

H1f1 group?

I am hoping to find others in the H1f1 haplogroup. I've had the Nat Geographic genome test (which identified my mt haplogroup as H1f1). I then got the FT Family Finder SNP test package, after which I joined the Scandinavia mt project. However, I've had no replies from the project administrator, so no further details about the migration path of my maternal ancestry. Suggestions sought for learning more about my particular group.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:19 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

It's not necessarily the case that a geographic project administrator would have much knowledge about various mtDNA haplogroups. So, even if the Scandinavian project administrator responded to you, he may end up telling you he doesn't know the answer to your question.

The best thing to do is to join the H1 mtGenome Project at https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/mt-dna-h1. The project has over 2,300 members and the administrators are more likely to be able to answer your questions than the Scandinavian project administrator.

Looking at the results table for H1 project at https://www.familytreedna.com/public...rame=mtresults and searching the page for H1f1, I found that are 16 project members in that subclade. It looks like most of them have Finnish maternal lines. That fits fairly well with Scandinavian ancestry.
Old 7th June 2017, 07:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks

Monsieur le Maddi, or Mme, or Mlle, or.... I joke now. But thank you, I will look into that group.

I might make a general critical complaint here about all genetic websites: I searched for help with the H1 haplogroup, I was led to the FT Scandinavia mt project. I joined the project and then contacted the project administrator with no particular question other than "hello, I am a new member, how may I get more information about my mt lineage?" I have had no reply from the administrator for more than a month, now.

But now I am advised that a project administrator may not know much about the haplogroup of that project. Then why is this person an administrator? And to whom may newcomers like myself turn in order to learn the hidden secrets of our genetic tests?

For my mother's paternal line (tested through a male son of a male uncle), I eventually stumbled upon a Finnish administrator of the I-Z74 project. This person was an amazing source of information, he told details of the migration path for the past 2,000 years of my grandfather's Y line. It is such a gamble, how useful will be the interpretation we get for our chromosomal information.
Old 7th June 2017, 08:32 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcskier View Post

I might make a general critical complaint here about all genetic websites: I searched for help with the H1 haplogroup, I was led to the FT Scandinavia mt project. I joined the project and then contacted the project administrator with no particular question other than "hello, I am a new member, how may I get more information about my mt lineage?" I have had no reply from the administrator for more than a month, now.

As an example, I'm the administrator of the Sicily Project, a geographic project. We have mtDNA results for 416 members with Sicilian maternal lines. There are dozens of different haplogroups/subclades represented in those results. I'd be lying if I said I knew details of every single one of those subclades and members shouldn't expect that I do. I always strongly suggest to members with questions that they join the appropriate haplogroup project whose administrators are better able to answer their questions.

But now I am advised that a project administrator may not know much about the haplogroup of that project. Then why is this person an administrator? And to whom may newcomers like myself turn in order to learn the hidden secrets of our genetic tests?
The project you joined is a geographical project that's collecting mtDNA results for people with Scandinavian maternal lines. That doesn't mean that the project administrator is knowledgeable about your specific haplogroup/subclade. It's really a geogaphic, not an mtDNA haplogroup, project.

That's why I suggested joining the H1 haplogroup project. While the administrator of the Scandinavian mtDNA may not know much about your specific haplogroup/subclade, I would expect the administrator of the appropriate mtDNA haplogroup project to be able to answer some basic questions about a subclade that's in the project. Or it may be that not too much is known about your specific subclade. However, seeing all the Finnish maternal lines that are in your subclade, that at least gives you a clue about your maternal line.

Last edited by MMaddi; 7th June 2017 at 08:39 PM.