Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 23rd November 2017, 06:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Haplogroups R-P310 and H5A1, I am lost

Hi,

I am new to this forum (but I read your posts since a year) and sorry if I created this thread on the wrong section, feel free to move it

I did DNA test, and I had a very strange haplogroup that I do not understand.
My mother's mother is from Auvergne region is France, and her father is a mix between Burgundy and Lorraine
My father is from Midi-pyrénees and Languedoc (today Occitania region, south of France)

I learnt that my paternal haplogroup was R-P310 and that my mom one was H5A1. From what I know, R-P310 is part of r1b R-M269, but what does the P-310 has specifically? informations are not totally clear online

Then my maternal haplogroup was H5A1, it seems common everywhere in Europe , but has high concentrations in Wales, Slovakia...why in such different places? to which ethnic group does it correspond?

And my final interrogation was about my blood distribution. I learnt that I was 58% Southern European (which is logical for a south French, even if it seems a lot). How can I know if this blood is simply more south French, Italian or greek or spaniard? They told me that my reference population was the greeks, even if I am tall, pale, fair eyed and have auburn hair

The biggest surprise was to learn that I had 29% of my blood coming from the Britain and Ireland. This is the most surprising. There have been many populations moving from France to Britain, but not from Britain to France from what I know. I have not known British ancestry, all my family trees only have an account of a French serving in the French king scot guards but he was a native frenchman. Which population movement could have provide me a so huge rate of British blood? I don't have a lot of breton origin (western France where the British Celts fled to avoid the germanic invaders) which could have explained this britishness.

Finally, I discovered 9% east European. New surprise. I just know that many of my father's ancestors had Visigothic names, the wisigoths were germanic but probably carried a lot of Eastern European elements because they stayed in the baltic region for a while. Would it be an explanation? furthermore I have no germanic blood in my results despite that my family had many germanic origin names. Does it mean that these names were germanized slavs or something like this? Another explanation could my grandfather who had Burgundy and lorraine blood. Burgundy was invaded by the Burgonds who were from Poland (but were they germanic?) and Lorraine was re-populated by many immigrants in the 16th century, often from Switzerland and Tyrol. But from what I know these regions are not particularly slavic.

It is a lot of questions, I know, sorry about that but despite a night of researches I can't find any explanation. If you could help me it would be Wonderfull

Thank you in advance
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

In regards to Haplogroups, where and what type of tests did you do to be assigned the two haplogroups?

R-P310 (longhand R1b1a1a2a1a), also referred to as R-L151, is a fairly old branch (said to be formed 5700 ybp, TMRCA 4800 ybp). There are many more recent branches below that. One would have to look into SNP testing to determine final subclade placement (or BigY)
https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L151/

Last edited by prairielad; 23rd November 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 24th November 2017, 06:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
In regards to Haplogroups, where and what type of tests did you do to be assigned the two haplogroups?

R-P310 (longhand R1b1a1a2a1a), also referred to as R-L151, is a fairly old branch (said to be formed 5700 ybp, TMRCA 4800 ybp). There are many more recent branches below that. One would have to look into SNP testing to determine final subclade placement (or BigY)
https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L151/
Hey, thanks for this answer. I did the geno 2.0 test. Is your link a paying extension or can I find it for free? Cause if don't feel paying a new test just to have some informations of my paternal haplogroups