Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 20th May 2017, 09:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

mtFull test - Haplogroup states only "H"

The mtFull sequence test results for my father are in.
The mtDNA haplogroup states for him only "H" - no further letters or numbers.
When I had my mother's mtFull test done, then she had a haplogroup description of four digits.

So why does my father get only "H"?
Are there extremely rare mutations in his mother's mitochondrial DNA, wherefore it is not possible to put him in any of the existing subclades?
Old 20th May 2017, 03:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Perhaps he doesn't have enough rare or different mutations from the original H haplogroup founding ancestor to be place up or down the line. He might just be way back on the H branch.
Old 20th May 2017, 04:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb79 View Post
Are there extremely rare mutations in his mother's mitochondrial DNA, wherefore it is not possible to put him in any of the existing subclades?
The current phylogenetic tree for mtDNA has 106 direct subclades of H (from H1 through H106). Each subclade was added to the tree only upon the official cataloguing of two examples. In all likelihood, then, at least another 100 such subclades exist for which only one example has been catalogued so far, and yet another 100 subclades for which no examples have been officially catalogued.

The logical conclusion is that mtDNA H has undergone a rather recent rapid expansion.
Old 20th March 2018, 05:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

In same boat

I'm in the same boat with you....just"H". As far as the paper trail my matrilineal line goes back to Germany. I'm not sure if testing my mother now will make a difference or will she get the same results? My grandmother is no longer with us
Old 24th March 2018, 05:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera Moore View Post
I'm in the same boat with you....just"H". As far as the paper trail my matrilineal line goes back to Germany. I'm not sure if testing my mother now will make a difference or will she get the same results? My grandmother is no longer with us
There is no benefit to testing your mother, her results will very likely be identical to yours. Multiple non-identical samples are needed to add a new subclade to the mtDNA tree, so multiple samples from related family members does not help in adding new subclades.