Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 9th October 2017, 09:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down DNA test result

Hi,
My wife and I had our DNA tested through ancestry. While the results surprised us a little, some of our friends are very skeptical about the whole process. Some go as far as saying that if I was to submit my saliva under a different name and see the test results, they may be very different than the ones I first received.

Has anyone ever done that? What were the test results.

Your thoughts please.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would doubt the results would be that different, maybe ethnicity estimates for ANOTHER/SECOND test because that isn't an accurate science. You can take tests with different companies and see how different each of their reference populations are.

But your matches to other people would be the same whether you used your own name or another name.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated
Old 9th October 2017, 05:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

One of my matches shows a repeat sample submitted two years after the first one (2014&2016) and all 16 matching segments are absolutely identical.
Old 9th October 2017, 05:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

What's with the nay-sayers who haven't tested but enjoy expressing their opinion on how YOU spend your own money?

There's a couple of people on a genealogy forum who haven't tested, say that they never will.....and besides they don't need to because they have good paper trails back at least a couple of centuries. I can accept that, but if there's been an NPE the paper trail won't be the right one. Their money, their choice. But they proceeded to carry on about it being a waste of money and/inaccurate/a fad etc every time someone posted about thinking about testing or their results.

They don't do it very often now, because I pointed out to one poster that she was one of the most active posters on the DNA forum (every single post was negative) yet had never tested, so it might be best to let those with personal experience help the person asking the questions.

I consider the admixture estimates to be very approximate.

I do know of someone who tested with LivingDNA. The first sample was lost in the mail so she sent a second sample. Months later her first sample arrived and was processed. There were small differences in the admixture results.
Old 10th October 2017, 04:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Arrow No magic here

Everyone can download their results from FTDNA. And in the downloaded file they will see that a small percentage, say around or less than 3% of reads was not completed successfully.

Yes, when retesting the unread SNPs could be different. That is a feature of the used technology.

Would that change Family Finder results? Possibly. Would the changes be non-trivial? Very unlikely.

A similar issue was discussed when FTDNA announced that they were going to allow transfers from other testing companies, since the SNPs tested do differ.

The above does not apply to Y DNA STR testing and mtDNA testing.

Mr. W
Old 10th October 2017, 05:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

Speaking of NPEs, I am beginning to think the reason some of my unsuccessful attempts to triangulate is because of NPEs in the lines.

When I have 6 dna matches, all of whom share the same ancestral couple in their trees, yet none of them triangulate.....
Old 10th October 2017, 07:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallairerichard View Post
Hi,
My wife and I had our DNA tested through ancestry. While the results surprised us a little, some of our friends are very skeptical about the whole process. Some go as far as saying that if I was to submit my saliva under a different name and see the test results, they may be very different than the ones I first received.

Your thoughts please.
Is your thumb down about your results or is about comments from people who don't know what they are talking about?

My wife tested at 23andMe (V2) and at FTDNA. She uploaded her results to GEDmatch. A one-to-one comparison shows Largest segment = 280.9 cM Total of segments > 7 cM = 3,584.4 cM. There are no brakes shown on any chromosome.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallairerichard View Post
Hi,

Your thoughts please.
That's nonsense. It's true the ethnicity report is only an estimate and you shouldn't take it too literally, but if you tested again with the same company, your DNA will be the same, and the analysis of your DNA will be the same, therefore you will get the same results. The only difference might be if you test later with an upgraded chip but even so, the difference will be fairly nominal.

Now, if you test with a different company, you will likely get different results but that's because they'll be using different analyses. Maybe the people you spoke to misunderstood this - or maybe you misunderstood them.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have heard those arguments - you pay, and the company shows you random matches, you pay more and will see more, there is no testing and so on.
I have tested my at FTDNA, AncestryDNA and MyHeritage.
Well, there are some mismatches on some basepairs and about 2% non-calls, but all 3 kits show full match with each other and full match with my mother kit.
Still waiting for LivingDNA and sequencing results from Dante Labs, but... I would be surprised if they wouldn't match.
Sigh, I am tired of those people that don't know anything about DNA and technology and still dare to be so critical.