• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earlscott3
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2017

Ungrouped Members

I have 4 members that are R-M269 and one unidentified member.

My issue is there are 11 different R-M269 groups listed that exist:
    R-M269(1a),(1b), (2a),(2b),(3),(5a),(5b),(5c),(8),(9a) and (9b).

How do I determine where the 4 ungrouped members go into on the 11 R-M269 groups?

I reviewed each member and did not see anything that described them but as R-M269. Unless I did not look in more detail.
  • The_Contemplator
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2015

Groupings are decided by the project admin. The admin can decide what are the groupings going to be and how to group the members in them. So the groups you mention must be of an existing project whose admin made those groups.

Are you taking over a project whose previous admin is no longer active? If so, you can get rid of all the subgroups that person left and make new ones. The admin decides.

If it is a surname project, you can group based on members that match. So group A all match with each other, group B all match with each other, group C matches no one yet, etc.

You can also group based on the Y tests you know they need. Say group A members match each other, but there are a few Y12 members who match them but could just be a coincidence at that level. You can split those off into a group and make a note in the group title that they should consider upgrading.

If there are very few members in the project, you can even leave them all ungrouped until there are enough for you to clump together.

EDIT: I just saw your other thread. Now I see you are a co-admin. If the admin is active, they should know how they have been grouping members. Only that person will know as it was something they decided on. If they are not active, you might need to decide if you get rid of his groupings and make your own, or just keep them and add those who match with the existing groups.
    Last edited by The_Contemplator; 13 January 2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• earlscott3
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jan 2017

R-M269 Group

I looked at the Y-DNA results and the R-M269 is a very large group that for whatever reason was divided into the 11, I would call sub-groups 1a thru 9b.

I have tried to email the main admin but get no responses.

I would not want to dismantle all these sub-groups just to put them all into one group. The other thing is I have 4 additional ungrouped R-M269 members that need to be grouped!

Thank you for the fast reply.

Comment

• The_Contemplator
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2015

Again, remember that these groups were made up by the admin. The admin could have had a simple or complex method for grouping the members.

Do this, look at the members of each group and look for patterns. Maybe the ones that have the same ancestor A are in group 3 or whatever. Look at how closely their results match. In fact, in the GAP, use the colorized version of the results to get a better visual on what differences members have within groups.

Another way of of doing this is pick one of the groups. Pick one of those members, look at their Y-DNA matches. You will probably find the other members of the same subgroup in the match list of that member.

In the GAP, go to Project Administration > Member Subgrouping. Maybe the admin has notes on each subgrouping that will give clues.

Comment

• MMaddi
          yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
          • Jul 2005

If it's a surname project, The_Contemplator may be right that he grouped the members based on paper trail genealogy or similar test results or a combination of the two.

I'm a co-administrator for one of the large R-M269 subclade projects (R1b-U106), so I'm familiar with how and why your project's absentee administrator may have decided on what basis to create the subgroups that he did create. If you give me a link to the project's results table, I'll take a look. I may be able to come up with an answer and maybe see, based on the results, where he may have erred or perhaps give you some tips on which members should be grouped together.

Comment

Working...
          X