Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 16th October 2017, 01:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

A COMPLETE DNA Newbie - especially Y-37

My wife's paternal grandfather was 'unknown'.

Her nephew - her brother's son - is willing to take a DNA test with the objective being to find out anything about Mr Unknown.

Before ordering a kit and setting it all in motion can anybody tell me what we MIGHT discover from the results of this test? And when we are talking surnames that are pointed to (something I must have read) what exactly does that mean.

I'd be so grateful for any hints that anyone might give me.

Totally irrelevant I'm sure but I'm in Australia and the nephew is in England, where Mr Unknown most certainly was if only for a very short time.

Many thanks all,

Simon Mead,
Melbourne Australia
Old 16th October 2017, 04:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hello to down under!

Y-DNA37 test is not sufficient for your purposes.

You really want your mother and her nephew (your cousin) to take the Family Finder test.

Going back to the Y-DNA tests. They are not useless, but you may want to ask your cousin to take Y-DNA67, otherwise you might (might) unnecessarily need to go through dozens of unrelated matches at Y-DNA37 level.

You may want to read here (and of course elsewhere) about the DNA tests and processes used by those who were adopted, when they are searching for their birth parents. The part where they are looking for their father would be like your mother's search.

Good luck! You need some, since not everybody tested yet :-)

Mr. W

P.S.
I think the hardest part might be meeting your great-grandfather family.
Old 16th October 2017, 07:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

There were some errors in the previous post but the meaning of the post was good. Triangulation through autosomal testing and the closest possible matching are needed for the maximum amount of evidence that matches are pointing to the right family.

1. With a 37 STR marker Y-DNA test (Y37) there is a possibility of a lot of false matches. The 67 STR marker Y-DNA test (Y67) will reduce the number of possible false matches, but some false matches can appear at times with Y67, but if there are any matches with a genetic distance of 4 or less then the common ancestor is likely to be within a genealogical timeframe but can still be from over 300 years ago. Sometimes there are Y37 matches that haven't tested more STR markers that are from a common ancestor in the past 500 years but the proof of the common ancestry through DNA requires that they upgrade. To reduce the possible false matches even more a Y111 is the best test but there are even fewer people in the database that have had a Y111 test than there are that have had a Y67 test. So, the more STRs tested the better but it is possible to not have any matches at Y67 or Y111.

2. If your wife were to get a Family Finder test, which is an autosomal test, and autosomal testing at all of the other companies that do matching such as 23andme and AncestryDNA then she might find 2nd and 3rd cousin matches that could help determine which family the unknown paternal grandfather is from. If your mother in law is still alive then she should also get autosomal testing with all of three companies so that her matches can be ruled out as being from the unknown paternal grandfather. Your, brother in law, and if your wife has other siblings, should also get autosomal testing at all three companies. Lastly, if your wife has cousins from her father's side they should also get autosomal testing but then they would want to try and rule out matches that aren't from the unknown paternal grandfather through family that is known not to be from him get autosomal testing also. Then once you have zeroed in on a family through triangulation you want that family to also test several family members to prove which side of their family the matching is on. If there is a close autosomal match with a male that you think is the same direct paternal line then you will want them to get a Y111 test also and for your wife's nephew to do the same if he hasn't.

As you can see it can all get very expensive to triangulate and rule out false matches and it takes cooperation from a lot of people. You can end up getting a lot of tests for your wife and her relatives and still come up empty handed because DNA testing still isn't popular enough.
Old 16th October 2017, 06:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks...

...for the replies, some good stuff in there. Maybe as suggested autosomal is the best place to start and then go from there. I've just taken one and am awaiting the results so we'll use mine as a test study and decide from there.
Once again many thanks both.

Simon
Old 16th October 2017, 06:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikm View Post
...for the replies, some good stuff in there. Maybe as suggested autosomal is the best place to start and then go from there. I've just taken one and am awaiting the results so we'll use mine as a test study and decide from there.
Once again many thanks both.

Simon
I am sorry, I missed that it was your wife...

In such a case, there is nothing to be gained by looking at your own autosomal results. Correct?

Mr. W
Old 17th October 2017, 04:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I am sorry, I missed that it was your wife...

In such a case, there is nothing to be gained by looking at your own autosomal results. Correct?

Mr. W
True. Separate research.