Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 21st August 2017, 04:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

BigY Matching Algorithm

BigY matching algorithm
When will FTDNA improve/correct/replace its BigY matching algorithm? And update their Hg N phylogenetic tree?
I was very excited when I received my BigY test results recently. In the “Known SNP Difference” column I had 6 results with “0” difference and 12 with “1” difference. However, when I stated to look at the results in detail I was less than impressed.
One of the “0” results is for a person belonging to quite a different branch of the Hg N-L550 tree, with several known SNP differences, and all shown on the FTDNA tree. Two of the “1” matches have the same problem.

For the 10 “1” difference matches I have left the “Non Matching Known SNP” are listed as: One each PF2755 and PR2722 and 8 off CTS1533. None of these three “KNOWN SNPs” are found on the FTDNA’s Hg N tree, nor on the ISOGG tree, so possibly I can conclude that, in fact, these 10 should also belong to the “0” category?

Unfortunately, that would be the wrong conclusion. By working through the Profile of each of my 15 “0” and “1” matches I could find the FTDNA terminal SNP for all of them and by placing them on the FTDNA’s tree only the 5 “0” and the two with PF2755 and PR2722 results are on my small twig of the Hg N branch.
By the way FTDNA list me as Hg N-Y17416 and YFull as Hg N-Y17113 (I’m still waiting for further results).

It surely is not “rocket science” to develop a computer program to compare two files and report the difference. I’m sure this must have been reported to the FTDNA’s management many times already, but has anyone seen any plans, announcements, schedules, etc for improving this basic customer service?
Old 27th August 2017, 06:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Their BigY matching algorithm sure leaves a lot to be desired.

Their haplotree is in decent shape, but there are aspects of the BigY presentation where it's not used as it should be.

"Known SNP Difference” is especially bad, because that lists SNPs that are known but not on the tree. If they are not on the tree they should not be used for anything, especially not for ranking...

CTS1533 is an unstable SNP, and so is PF2755, they should be ignored.
The 3rd one looks like it may be a real mutation, but is probably private to that tester (the named mutation happens in a *very* different part of the genetic tree).
Old 29th August 2017, 04:48 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for the response Broder Tuck,

That is the same conclusion I also came to. I guess one positive outcome of the inadequate FTDNA algorithm is that it forces us to do some research on our own!
Old 7th October 2017, 03:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Arrow Upgrades to Big Y

It appears those who had the Big Y test have received an e-mail that partially reads
the release goes live, October 10th!

Once the release is live, we will be recalculating Big Y matches. We anticipate this taking approximately 5-7 days. During this time, you will see "Results Pending" in the Big Y section. You will be notified by email once your results are processed and ready.
Let's reconvene on Wednesday, the 17th

Mr. W
Old 7th October 2017, 12:05 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

I believe the email was sent to Group Administrators, not to all who have taken the Big Y.

Roberta Estes posted about it yesterday: "Big Changes for Big Y Test at Family Tree DNA"
Old 7th October 2017, 01:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
I believe the email was sent to Group Administrators, not to all who have taken the Big Y.
True on both counts. Since only half of my Big Y takers have received the notification, I have posted about it here. BTW, my quote comes from an e-mail send to a test taker (their wording is slightly different).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
Roberta Estes posted about it yesterday: "Big Changes for Big Y Test at Family Tree DNA"
Thank you for the link.

Let's wait and see how the new Big Y looks like in practice.

Mr. W

Last edited by dna; 7th October 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10th October 2017, 04:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm very pleased to see that FTDNA finally are doing something on the BigY matching - I hope we won't be disappointed! Just to be on the safe side I have downloaded all my current matches so I can compare the two.

I'm a bit surprised that they did not respond to my initial post, August 21, to say that they were already working on the problem, however better late than never.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10th October 2017, 10:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Davidsen View Post
I'm a bit surprised that they did not respond to my initial post, August 21, to say that they were already working on the problem, however better late than never.
That is because they don't respond in these forums. In fact they don't look here. Darren is the only one who does at times. So when you need to get a message to them, contact them through their contact form or by phone.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm sure you are correct The_Contemplator, but I would have thought that for an organisation that provides a "Direct-to-Customer" service listening to what the customers say/write would be on page 1, chapter 1, on their Customer Service Manual!

Anyway - something is happening to my Big Y results, I'm promised new information within the week. Let's hope it will be worth the wait.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm disappointed already!

The scheduled updated BigY results deadline suddenly slipped by a further 4 weeks!

NOT happy.