• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

Current Big Y processing time

Does anyone have an idea of how long it's taking to process a Big Y test these days?

I ask because I had ordered one for my maternal uncle during the 2016 Holiday sale, which was batched on Dec. 7, 2016. The expected date has changed four times now, from the original 1 Feb - 15 Feb 2017, then today to 29 Mar - 12 Apr. His haplogroup is estimated as E-M35 (originally as M34) by FTDNA, but the project admins feel he is likely predicted E-L791.

Contrast that with another Big Y I ordered from the 2015 Holiday sale, which was batched on 31 Dec. that year. Those results were expected 24 Feb - 9 Mar 2016, but they came in on 8 Feb.

I am trying to keep hope that it is not a problem with the sample, but just a delay due to volume of tests to be processed.
    Last edited by KATM; 16 March 2017, 08:19 AM.
  • high734
    FTDNA Customer
    • Aug 2016

my Big Y was about the same day as yours. But I received my results in mid January.

Comment

• KATM
      • Nov 2012

Wow, your results came quickly!

Hmm, makes me wonder if enough sample was left. FTDNA did complete a Y-111 test (upgrade from existing Y-67), which was batched on 23 Nov. 2016, and got results on 12 Dec. Previously the Y-67 and a Family Finder test had been done.

Comment

• rivergirl
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jul 2006

I've had a few project members who ordered at the beginning of the sale last year and had very quick results, just 2 1/2 weeks in batch 703 and 704.
        2 others in batch 703 took a little over 5 weeks.
        1 man in batch 706 had results in 4 weeks.
        1 man in batch 714 from mid Jan is still waiting, expected date has moved to 27 Mar to 10 April. He may have had to supply a new sample.
        A recent test came in, ordered 11 Feb, in batch 722, took 4 weeks.

Comment

• KATM
          • Nov 2012

Thanks, rivergirl. My uncle's Big Y is in batch 706. It's been 14 weeks so far.
          His Y-111 upgrade was in batch 704, and took under 3 weeks to get results.
          Last edited by KATM; 17 March 2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Conat
            FTDNA Customer
            • Mar 2016

If it is any help: I ordered mine late in the 2016 sale and was in batch 709. It was put back once and came through last week.

Comment

• KATM
              • Nov 2012

Thanks, Conat. Still "awaiting results," but I check about twice a day. Here's hoping it will be completed soon.

Comment

• KATM
                • Nov 2012

Still in limbo!

To update, the Big Y result on which I've been fairly stoically waiting has now been postponed for the eighth time. That is, for a Big Y test assigned to batch #706 on 17 Dec. 2016, the expected date was originally 1 Feb. - 15 Feb., and at each of the ending date ranges given for an expected date, it was changed to the next two week period. The latest was expected 10 May - 24 May, and has now (as of 10 May) been changed to 24 May - 7 June.

I submitted a support request using the contact form on 21 March, and never got a reply. If something was wrong with the sample, I think I would have heard of it by now, so I'm left wondering what's going on.

Has anyone else been experiencing such a delay?
                Last edited by KATM; 11 May 2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Darren
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2007

This doesn't sound right and I would like to look into it. Can you please send me a private message with the kit number and a contact email address. I'll check in and see what may be going on.

-Darren
                  Family Tree DNA

Comment

• KATM
                    • Nov 2012

Thank you Darren. I've sent you a private message.

Comment

• NickBjorn
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jul 2023

I am E-L791 with subclades y-2947, y2962 down to y39151 and lately by200765. Family comes from France (Provence -Alps) and Lombardy, Italy. Looking to see if anyone has similar haplogroups and country backgrounds.

Comment

• KATM
                        • Nov 2012

NickBjorn, you should start a new thread with this topic, and/or perhaps join the E-M35 haplogroup project (which includes E-L791) to post a message in the activity feed there. You are more likely to find others with similar haplogroups and countries in the activity feed.
                        Last edited by KATM; 11 July 2023, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• NickBjorn
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jul 2023

Hi KATM, How can I join the E-M35 group and post a message in the activity feed there? Appreciate your advice!

Comment

• KATM
                            • Nov 2012

The FTDNA Help Center has a page for Introduction to Group Projects, with instructions for how to access them.

Basically, if you log into your account, the top menu has "Group Projects," and if you hover over that you will see "Join a Project." Click on that. Once you get to the page in your account for joining a project, go to the section for Y-DNA Haplogroup Projects and click on E, which currently has 28 projects, so is shown as "E(28)." That will get you to the list of projects for the E Y-DNAhaplogroup. From the list for E projects, choose E-M35_Project​. Once you are accepted, you should be able to post in the Activity Feed there.

Comment

• NickBjorn
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jul 2023

Thanks so much! I will give this a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X