Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced Users can talk about SNP based tests such as single SNP testing by Sanger sequencing, Geno 2.0 chip based testing, and next-generation sequencing tests like BIG Y.

Old 15th October 2013, 07:29 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
I didn't mean L664 in general. I was thinking of my tiny B3 subgroup, which has its base in Norway.
So you think that your ancestor got safely back to Norway after a raid on the Irish coast.
You could be right.
Old 15th October 2013, 02:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1798 View Post
So you think that your ancestor got safely back to Norway after a raid on the Irish coast.
You could be right.
My line of reasoning follows an earlier exchange (on another forum?) that L664 has never been found in Iceland, implying that L664 were not among Viking raiders/explorers. Now it's looking like my B3 subgroup participated, along with other subgroups of L664, although they still haven't found L664 in Iceland. B3 may not have reached Iceland, but they at least were among Norse settlers in the British Isles area. As for my specific ancestors, I don't think they went to sea. My tight little line (within B3) includes myself and the guy from Finland, along with another along the Swedish border who is not in the R1a project. We may have been Forest Finns.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 15th October 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 17th October 2013, 07:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
My line of reasoning follows an earlier exchange (on another forum?) that L664 has never been found in Iceland, implying that L664 were not among Viking raiders/explorers. Now it's looking like my B3 subgroup participated, along with other subgroups of L664, although they still haven't found L664 in Iceland. B3 may not have reached Iceland, but they at least were among Norse settlers in the British Isles area. As for my specific ancestors, I don't think they went to sea. My tight little line (within B3) includes myself and the guy from Finland, along with another along the Swedish border who is not in the R1a project. We may have been Forest Finns.
Looking at my little B3 group again, I'll have to modify my theory somewhat. I can't really say there is a tight line within B3 that I belong to. The whole group diverges from each other; but I'm not going to try to count the steps between them. Suffice it to say we (B3) are separate and distinct from the other groups within L664. The only match reported on my FTDNA personal pages is the missing one from along the Swedish border (7 steps at 67). Well, there are low level matches (probably not B3) at FTDNA, but they aren't in the R1a project as far as I can tell. Then there is my controversial proposal that B3 came from Finland eons ago, and not up from Germany as conventional wisdom has it.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 17th October 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

My L664, group B, may have come into southern Finland from the east with the Corded Ware Culture.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6752/mkmu.jpg
Old 13th February 2018, 07:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

L664 here in England, but have yet to find out my subclade
Old 15th February 2018, 06:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
My L664, group B, may have come into southern Finland from the east with the Corded Ware Cult
I no longer especially think that my R-L664 came by way of Finland. It is just the standard Germanic or Pre-Germanic as the experts say it is. The ancestors of the sample from Finland would have got there by way of Sweden.