Significance of (full) haplogroup matches under Haplogroup Origins??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kattoo13
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2015

Significance of (full) haplogroup matches under Haplogroup Origins??

I'm still trying to figure this out. I transferred my Genographic results to FTDNA. Under Haplogroup Origins for HVR1/HVR2/Coding Region, I have only a few matches for my exact mtDNA Haplogroup with subclades. The Genographic site said my haplogroup was only shared with .01% of THEIR participants, so I'm guessing it's kind of rare..?

What is the significance of this? Does it mean we share a common maternal ancestor??

Thanks
  • jsarnacki
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by kattoo13 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure this out. I transferred my Genographic results to FTDNA. Under Haplogroup Origins for HVR1/HVR2/Coding Region, I have only a few matches for my exact mtDNA Haplogroup with subclades. The Genographic site said my haplogroup was only shared with .01% of THEIR participants, so I'm guessing it's kind of rare..?

What is the significance of this? Does it mean we share a common maternal ancestor??

Thanks
    Yes, but how far back you share a common maternal ancestor is the real question. I guess it is harder to guage with mtDNA because there is not a shared Surname trail that you can easily follow. That said, if you check trees for matches you may get lucky!

Hoping someone else can answer how many generations back an exact match might go.

Comment

• kattoo13
      FTDNA Customer
      • May 2015

Thanks! I have a few more questions, maybe you or somebody else could answer.

For 2 of the self-reported countries I have 1 match each, and for the other country, I have 3 matches. For the single matches, is that more significant because it's only one?
      Does it also mean that our shared distant ancestor was most likely from the country listed?

I'd also like to know the answer to your question, about have many generations an exact match goes back.

Comment

• prairielad
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by kattoo13 View Post

I'd also like to know the answer to your question, about have many generations an exact match goes back.

For exact coding region matches
        "50% confidence it is within 5 generations(about 125 years), 95% confidence it is within 22 Generations (about 550 years)

MtDNA handbook

Comment

• kattoo13
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2015

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
          https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

For exact coding region matches
          "50% confidence it is within 5 generations(about 125 years), 95% confidence it is within 22 Generations (about 550 years)

MtDNA handbook
          https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/mtdna-testing/
          Thank you...

Comment

Working...
          X